Infrastructure Enhancement Grants
Budget Deadline: February 28, 2015
Proposal Deadline: March 5, 2015
REF Infrastructure Enhancement (REF—IE) grants are designed to provide Departments/Schools and Research Centers/Institutes with resources to develop the infrastructure necessary to support sponsored research and graduate student education. Funded projects will typically focus on acquisition of equipment, enhancement of laboratory facilities, or enhancement of administrative support structure to expand the research capability of the unit. Submitted proposals must each have a Chair, Dean, or Research Center/Institute Director as Principal Investigator. A PI may only submit one proposal per category (see FAQs). Co-investigators may include academic or research faculty, or research staff. REF-IE grants may be up to $50,000, are limited to the award period outlined above, and can not be extended. Unexpended funds at the end of the project period will revert to the REF pool. Two or more departments may jointly submit a proposal. This program is restricted to non-Core Facility Infrastructure.
Evaluation of Proposals
REF—IE proposals will be evaluated on:
- Extent of enhancement of the University's research capability.
- The likelihood of leading to future sponsored research funding and graduate student support.
- Achievement of the University strategic plan
- Matching funds are not required; however evidence of a departmental commitment to the project needs to be clear in the proposal, as well as reasoning for a lack of cost share
Note: equipment that will be placed in a University-recognized core facility should be noted in the proposal and will be given priority in the review process.
All proposals must include a completed Required Elements Checklist—IE to ensure all necessary documents have been submitted. Please review this checklist prior to writing your proposal as it explains the requirements and page limits. With an expectation of a heavy volume of submission for this competition, please adhere to all guidelines including the proposal format.
All REF—IE proposals must include a management plan section, which is a summary of how the equipment will be used and maintained. The proposer needs to outline the following on their Management Plan:
- Equipment Operation
- Identify who will be in charge of and responsible for the equipment.
- Identify potential users of the equipment.
- Will it be used by students?
- Will it be used across campus?
- Will it only be used by a specific department?
- Training of Users
- Identify who will train the equipment users.
- Identify how they will be trained.
- Use Fee Structure
- Identify a use charge structure, which will help pay for upkeep and maintenance.
- Maintenance Plan
- Identify who will perform up-keep and maintenance of the equipment.
- Identify how this will be executed.
Budgets must be reviewed and approved by the Sponsored Programs Office one week prior to the proposal deadline. Please submit your budget and completed Cost Share/Matching Support Authorization Form to Jennifer Bukovich.
All cost share is to be disclosed in the budget justification and shown on the budget worksheet. You must also submit a completed Cost Share Authorization form (which is located on the Banner Self Service Site).
- Faculty salary support (including summer salary)
- Faculty, staff, and temporary salary support
- Graduate student support (stipend, tuition, hourly, etc) during the academic year. Hourly graduate-student support is allowed during the summer semester
- Faculty release time
- Submit one copy of final proposal to the appropriate Dean for review; the Dean will submit their letter of support directly to the VP Research Office, Attn: Cathy Codere.
- Please submit the Required Elements Checklist, Transmittal Form, and Proposal as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Dean will send their letter of support directly to the VP Research Office, Attn: Cathy Codere. Dean letters are due within seven calendar days of the proposal deadline. If faculty members from the same college/school submit multiple proposals, the Dean needs to prioritize the proposals from the college/school based on need and benefit.
If you need to make a modification to your REF award end date or budget, please send a completed Request for Modification Form (see resources box on this page) via email to email@example.com. The form should provide a justification for the requested change and be signed by the required individuals. Please send the document as a PDF file.