Graduate Student Tuition Support
Credit caps for supported graduate students are set by each department once per year during summer session. The dollar amount for tuition caps includes the following: nine to twelve credits of tuition (depends on each department), the tuition differential fee, and the maximum lab fee charged to graduate students by semester for the past year.
The Graduate Student Tuition Support form (TZAGRSP) in Banner was created to gather support information from departments. The department enters the data to create tuition support which will be reflected on the student’s billing statement.
Listed below are field descriptions for TZAGRSP.
- ID: Enter graduate student’s M number. Student’s name will auto fill.
- Term Code: Enter term code (e.g., 201008, 201101, 201105).
- Patent Form on File: Auto fills.
- Major: Auto fills.
- Degree: Auto fills.
- Home Department: This is entered by the department and is the academic home department of the student. There is a draw down menu with values you can retrieve by clicking on the arrow next to the box.
- Total MTU Support: A department has a choice in how much tuition support a student will receive broken down into 25 percent increments. By clicking on one of these buttons you determine the percentage of support that a student will receive.
- Support Department: Sometimes the department supporting the student is different from the academic home department. There is a draw down menu with values you can retrieve by clicking on the arrow next to the box. The Home Department will maintain the information for students supported by another department. Communication between the two departments is required. NOTE: Students need to remain in their home department due to differences in tuition caps.
- Direct External Fellowship: For Graduate School use only.
- Rate Code: The Rate Code lists the student type (e.g., GRA, GTA).
- Index Number/Pct: The Index Number/Pct lists the breakdown of support per index. The percentages have to add up to the Total MTU Support percent. If a student has 75 percent support they can have up to three different indexes entered with 25 percent each or all can go to one index by listing it at 75 percent. Pending (PENDNG) can be used when an index has not been set up yet.
- Last Update By: Auto fills.
- Stipend indexes: The stipend index is entered by the department. This is for informational purposes only.
If you need to delete a record, click on the icon at the top of the page “remove record,” and then click on “save.”
The TZAGRSP form is available for data entry several weeks before the student billing is available to students. An email is sent to gradsupport-l once the form is open. The information entered on this form creates a report in Accounts Receivable the following morning. Accounts Receivable enters the information into Banner to produce the correct credit to the student account and charges the support to the appropriate clearing account. This information updates the student account by a process which runs hourly. Please be reminded that information entered on the TZAGRSP form does not automatically update the student bill. Changes can be made to TZAGRSP until the form is locked out by Financial Services and Operations, normally a few weeks into the semester.
A notice will be sent out to departments on the gradsupport-l emailing list ten to fourteen days prior to the closure of TZAGRSP. Once closed, Accounts Receivable reconciles the clearing accounts to the charges assessed per student, per department. These spreadsheets are sent to the departments for further review. Amounts charged to indexes can be adjusted, indexes added or PENDNG changed to the appropriate index. The departments will forward their completed spreadsheets to Financial Services and Operations who will then coordinate the update process from the clearing account into the respective indexes that are charged for the graduate tuition support.
The fall graduate tuition support is normally charged to the individual indexes in October; the spring graduate support is normally charged in February; and the summer graduate support is normally charged in June. The account codes to use for graduate tuition support are E512 Tuition GA/GRA/GTA and E572 Fellowship - Tuition Remission.