Forms and Deadlines
Students are encouraged to use our online application for quicker access to complete and track the status of their application. Students without access to complete our online application can request a paper application by emailing Kristi Isaacson. Our online application can be used by both domestic and international students to apply to any of our degree programs, certificate programs, or for nondegree seeking status.
Additional Forms for Admission
- Application Checklist
- Request to Transfer Credit
- Waiver / Provisional Admit Request Form
- Transfer In Form (Transferring International Students Only)
- Certification of Finances Form (International Students Only)
- Letter of Recommendation Standard Form (available to complete online on MyMichiganTech - submitting paper documents may delay the processing of applications)
- Application for Readmission (Formerly Enrolled Students Only)
Note: Additional applications or forms may be required for some programs. Please check program websites for specific admissions requirements.
Submitting forms in a timely manner is essential for students to complete their degree requirements. This page links to all of the forms required for students and shows the deadline to submit them to graduate in a given semester. Forms for programs are also linked on this page.
These forms are required for:
- Master's students (MS, MFor, or MBA)
- Master's of Engineering students (MEng)
- Doctoral candidates (PhD)
- Graduate Certificates
These forms are not required for all students:
- General Forms (used for special circumstances, e.g., transferring credit or enrolling in UN5951)
Deadlines to graduate in a given semester and participate in its commencement ceremony are shown below. All paperwork must be submitted by 4pm on the date listed.
|Graduating in||Submit final dissertation, thesis, or report no later than 4pm on||Complete final degree requirements no later than 4pm on1||Apply to walk in commencement before|
|Fall 2013||December 16, 2013||December 20, 2013||October 11, 2013|
|Spring 2014||April 28, 2014||May 2, 2013||February 21, 2014|
|Summer 2014||August 11, 2014||August 15, 2014||NA|
|1. Students who have submitted a final dissertation, thesis, or report, but who are unable to complete the required formatting changes by this deadline will be enrolled in UN5951 for the next semester and charged a resubmission fee equal to 25% of the current cost of one credit of graduate tuition. Enrollment in UN5951 is limited to one semester. Please note that reviews can take up to two weeks, and the majority of students require at least two revisions before their document can be accepted. Submit well ahead of this deadline to avoid the resubmission fee.|
Questions about Deadlines?
Have more questions about deadlines, defenses, and dissertations (or theses and reports)? Check out our FAQ, and the two most common questions below.
What is the deadline to defend this semester?
There are no deadlines for defenses. You may defend at any time that your advisor and committee agree you are ready to defend and they are available to conduct the defense.
There are deadlines, however, to submit a final dissertation, thesis, or report and complete any formatting changes if you wish to graduate in a given semester. Current deadlines are available online.
I need to graduate this semester. What is the last day I can defend?
The Graduate School has no deadline for your defense. You may defend at any time your advisor and committee agree that you are ready to defend and they are available to meet.
After your defense, your committee will require technical and formatting changes before they will approve your final dissertation, thesis, or report. Every student and committee is different, so the Graduate School cannot predict how much time will be necessary after your defense to make the required corrections. Approximately 40% of students require 1-14 days after their defense to make the required corrections and submit their documents to the Graduate School, but the time ranges from 1 day to 3 years.
The majority of students submit their final documents at the end of the semester. Therefore, the Graduate School recommends defending at least four weeks before the deadline to submit your final document in the semester you wish to complete your degree requirements. These deadlines can be found online. This will allow two weeks for you to complete changes required by your committee, two weeks for the Graduate School to review, and a week for you to complete any final formatting changes required by the Graduate School.
For example, a sample timeline for Fall 2013:
- The deadline to submit a final dissertation, thesis or report is December 16, 2013.
- Schedule your defense on or before November 18, 2013. This is not a requirement. It is only a recommendation.
- Submit your final dissertation, thesis, or report on or before December 2, 2013. This is not a requirement. It is only a recommendation.
- You will receive a review of your work on or before December 16, 2013. You will have until December 20, 2013 to make any formatting changes and will be able to complete your degree in fall without any additional fees.
Please allow two weeks for the Graduate School to review each submission of a final dissertation, thesis, or report. The majority of students require at least two submissions before their document can be accepted by the Graduate School.