Dana L. Richter
- Noblet Building 112
Research Scientist II, School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
- PhD, Forest Biology, Michigan Technological University
- MA, Biology, St. Cloud State University
- BA, Biology, St. Cloud State University
- BA, Liberal Arts, St. Cloud State University
Stimulating Curiosity and Learning
Dr. Richter’s research involves fungi and how these organisms interact with trees, insects, forests ecosystems and wood. He conducts research on topics as far ranging as tree diseases, mushroom diversity, seedling survival, resistance of adhesives and wood preservatives to fungi, and the ability of fungi to mold and decay wood. He has developed a solid track record with industry to conduct decay and mold-stain testing of forest products.
Dr. Richter supervises a forest and wood microbiology lab and teaches courses in forest diseases and fungal ecology. A member of the Graduate Faculty, he serves on Master’s and Doctoral committees, and advises graduate students. He was awarded the School Teaching Award in 1997 and the Manierre Award for Scientific Research in the Huron Mountains in 2001. He has collected mushrooms for science for over 25 years, depositing thousands of specimens and cultures in herbaria and repositories around the world. He freely conducts workshops, field trips and presentations to advance knowledge of the fungi in ecosystems.
- Richter, D.L. 2013. A Hair and a Fungus: Showing Kids the Size of a Microbe. American Biology Teacher, How To Do It. (In Press, May Issue 2013).
- Bal, T.L., Richter, D.L., Storer, A.J. and Jurgensen, M.F. 2013. The relationship of the sapstreak fungus, Ceratocystis virescens, to sugar maple dieback and decay in Northern Michigan. American J. Plant Sciences. doi:10.4326/ajps2012, 4:436-443.
- X. Ding, M.B. Meneses, S.M. Albukhari, D.L. Richter, L. M. Matuana, and P. A. Heiden. 2013. Comparing Leaching of Different Copper Oxide Nanoparticles and Ammoniacal Copper Salt from Wood Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. Vol. 298, Issue 3:
- Richter, D.L. 2012. The sugar maple sapstreak fungus (Ceratocystis virescens (Davidson) Moreau, Ascomycota) in the Huron Mountains, Marquette Co. Michigan. The Michigan Botanist. Vol. 51:73-81.
- Richter, D.L., A.M. Berns, and C.F. Frederick. 2012. Resistance of Canada Yew (Taxus canadensis) Branch Wood to Two Wood Decay Fungi. Canadian Field-Naturalist 126(2):160-163.
- Potvin, L.R., Richter, D.L., Jurgensen, M.F., and Dumroese, R.K. 2012. Association of Pinus banksiana Lamb. and Populus tremuloides Michx. seedling fine roots by Sistotrema brinkmannii (Bres.) J. Erikss. (Basidiomycotina). Mycorrhiza 22 (8):631-638.
- Salma, U., Chen, N., Richter, D.L., Filson, P.B., Dawson-Andoh, B., Matuana, L., and Heiden, P. 2010. Amphiphilic Core-Shell Nanoparticles to Reduce Biocide Leaching from Treated Wood. Part 1. Leaching and Biological Efficacy. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering (in press).