Audrey L. Mayer
Associate Professor of Ecology and Environmental Policy
Coordinator, Peace Corps Masters International Program in Forestry
- PhD, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee
- BA, Biology/Public Policy Analysis, Pomona College
Sustainability Science and Policy
I have a joint appointment with the Department of Social Sciences and the School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science. My research fits generally within the framework of multidisciplinary sustainability science. I develop and test sustainability indices for their utility to manage dynamic human-environmental systems from local to global scales. I also look at the impact of economic trade on the sustainability of these systems, the so-called "leakage" effect, and its impact on local ecosystems, the "boomerang" effect. Finally, I am interested in using economic incentive policies and landscape-scale management tools to safeguard forest ecosystem services, commonly referred to as "payment for ecosystem services" (PES).
My training and experience is multidisciplinary, split between ecology and policy, with plenty of natural resource economics thrown into the mix. My work is split between computer simulations and GIS, to data collection in a variety of habitats. I have conducted field work in the coastal sage scrub in southern California, the Florida Everglades, urbanized watersheds in Cincinnati, protected natural areas throughout the Midwest, and the boreal forest in Finland and Russia.
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, and ES Norman. In press. Water flows towards power: Socioecological degradation of Lake Urmia, Iran. Society and Natural Resources.
- Vaidya A and AL Mayer. In press. Use of the participatory approach to develop sustainability assessments for natural resource management. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology. Read More
- Roy AH, LK Rhea, AL Mayer, WD Shuster, JJ Beaulieu, MA Hopton, MM Morrison, and A St. Amand. 2014. How much is enough? Minimal responses of water quality and stream biota to retrofit stormwater management in a suburban neighborhood. PLoS ONE 9(1):e85011. Read More
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, MJ Falkowski, and D Muralidharan. 2013. Deforestation and landscape structure changes in relation to socioeconomic dynamics and climate change in Zagros forests. Journal of Land Use Science 8(3):321-340.
- Henareh Khalyani A and AL Mayer. 2013. Spatial and temporal deforestation dynamics of Zagros forests (Iran) from 1972 to 2009. Landscape and Urban Planning 117:1-12.
- Mayer AL and MD Rouleau. 2013. ForestSim model of impacts of smallholder dynamics: forested landscapes of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. International Journal of Forestry Research, article ID 520207, 13pp. Read More
- Henareh Khalyani A, AL Mayer, CR Webster, and MJ Falkowski. 2013. Protection impact assessment at two scales in the Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran. Ecological Indicators 25:99-107.
- Henareh Khalyani A, MJ Falkowski, and AL Mayer. 2012. Classification of Landsat images based on spectral and topographic variables for land cover change detection in Zagros forests. International Journal of Remote Sensing 33(21):6956-6974.
- Schubert JR and AL Mayer. 2012. Peer influence of nonindustrial private forest owners in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Open Journal of Forestry 2(3):147-155.
- Mayer AL, WD Shuster, JJ Beaulieu, ME Hopton, LK Rhea, AH Roy, HW Thurston. 2012. Building green infrastructure via citizen participation – a six-year study in the Shepherd Creek (Ohio, USA). Environmental Practice 14(1):57-67.
- Mayer AL and RD Lopez. 2011. Use of remote sensing to support forest and wetlands policies in the USA. Remote Sensing 3(6):1211-1233.
- Ståhls MH, AL Mayer, PM Tikka, PE Kauppi. 2010. Disparate geography of consumption, production, and environmental impacts: Forest products in Finland 1991-2007. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(4):576-585.
- Mayer AL, L Vihermaa, N Nieminen, A Luomi, M Posch. 2009. Epiphytic macrolichen community correlates with modeled air pollutants and forest conditions. Ecological Indicators 9:992-1000.
- Mayer AL. 2008. Ecologically-based approaches to evaluate the sustainability of industrial systems. International Journal of Sustainable Society 1(2):117-133.
- Mayer AL. 2008. Strengths and weaknesses of common sustainability indices for multidimensional systems. Environment International 34:277-291.
- 2012-2016: National Science Foundation, SEP program, $1,800,000: “Sustainable Forest-Based Biofuel Pathways to Hydrocarbon Transportation Fuels: Biomass Production, Torrefaction, Pyrolysis, Catalytic Upgrading, and Combustion” (as Co-PI; PI: David Shonnard)
- 2012-2016: FORMAS (Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning), 25,000,000 SEK: “Green infrastructures for ecological sustainability and human well-being: A network of forest, rural and urban landscapes as laboratories for integrative research.” (as Co-I; PI Per Angelstam, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU))
- 2010-2012: USDA Forest Service, McIntire-Stennis, $21,000: “Correlating change in landscape scale carbon storage through shifting forest ownership and management goals.” (PI)
- 2012. The Wildlife Society, Portland OR. “Connectivity of the Landscape for Northern River Otter in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.” (with SR Cotey, presented by SR Cotey).
- 2012. Ecological Society of America, Portland OR. “Protection impact assessment at two scales in the Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran.” (with A Henareh, CR Webster, and MJ Falkowski).
- 2012. Trans-Atlantic Research & Development Interchange on Sustainability (TARDIS), Leibnitz, Austria. “Information and entropy theory for sustainability.” (with RP Donovan).
- 2012. International Association for Landscape Ecology – US Region, Newport RI. “Information and entropy theory for the sustainability of Combined Human And Natural Systems (CHANS).” (with RP Donovan).
- 2012. International Association for Landscape Ecology – US Region, Newport RI. “Protection impact assessment at two scales in Bozin and Marakhil protected area, Iran.” (with A Henareh, CR Webster, and MJ Falkowski, presented by A Henareh).
- 2011. Ecological Society of America, Austin TX. “Analyzing effective protection for roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) habitat in Iranian Zagros forests at two scales” (with A Henareh).
- 2011. Ecological Society of America, Austin TX. “Use of Random Forest Algorithm for the Classification of Multi-sensor Landsat Images from Zagros Forests” (with A Henareh and MJ Falkowski, presented by A Henareh).
- 2011. Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP), Tampa FL. “Using ‘Collapse’ to teach sustainability” (with E Seagren, presented by E Seagren).
- Sustainability indices using information theory
- Green Infrastructure
- Sustainable biofuels
- Dynamics of landscapes dominated by small private forest owners
- Deforestation drivers and remote sensing