Martin F. Jurgensen
- Noblet Building 137
Research Professor, School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
- PhD, Soil Science (Microbiology), North Carolina State University
- MS, Silviculture, State University of New York
- BS, Forestry, State University of New York
Nothing in Moderation
When I was an undergraduate forestry student, I wanted to manage forests in a sustainable manner to benefit society and future generations. However, my graduate studies and subsequent research activity showed me that to maintain healthy forest ecosystems you have to manage the soil.
My teaching and research program emphasizes the interaction of plants, animals and soil, and how they impact forest ecosystem productivity and sustainability. All students in my classes and working on my research studies learn “not to treat soil like dirt”!
- Page-Dumroese, D.S., M.F. Jurgensen, and T. Terry. 2010. Maintaining Soil Productivity during Forest or Biomass-to-Energy Thinning Harvests in the Western United States. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 25: 5-10.
- Kilpeläinen, J., L. Finér, S. Neuvonen, P. Niemelä, T. Domisch, A.C. Risch, M.F. Jurgensen, M. Ohashi, L. Sundström. 2009. Does the mutualism between wood ants (Formica rufa group) and Cinara aphids affect Norway spruce growth? Forest Ecology and Management 257: 238–243.
- Storer, A.J., M.F. Jurgensen, A.C. Risch, J. Delisle, and M.D. Hyslop. 2008. The fate of an intentional introduction of Formica lugubris to North America from Europe. Journal of Applied Entomology 132: 276-280.
- Tarpey, R.A., M.F. Jurgensen, B.J. Palik, and R. K. Kolka. 2008. The long-term effects of silvicultural thinning and partial cutting on soil compaction in red pine (Pinus resinosa Ait.) and northern hardwood stands in the northern Great Lakes Region of the United States. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 88: 849-857.
- Page-Dumroese, D.S., Dumroese, R.K., Jurgensen, M.F., Abbott, A., Hensiek, J.J. 2008. Effect of nursery storage and site preparation techniques on field performance of high-elevation Pinus contorta seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 2065–2072.
- Risch, A.C., M.F. Jurgensen, D.S. Page-Dumroese, O. Wildi, and, M. Schutz. 2008. Long-term development of above- and below-ground carbon stocks following land-use change in subalpine ecosystems of the Swiss National Park. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38: 1590 – 1602.
- Jurgensen, M.F., L. Finér, T. Domisch, J. Kilpeläinen, P. Punttila, M. Ohashi, P. Niemelä, L. Sundström, S. Neuvonen, and A.C. Risch. 2008. Organic mound-building ants: their impact on soil properties in temperate and boreal forests. Journal of Applied Entomology 132: 266-275.