Associate Professor, School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
- PhD, Genetics, Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (IPK-Gatersleben)
- MS, Biology, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Ecological Genetics and adaptive evolution
I am interested in the study of evolutionary forces acting on plant populations and species during their history and in the evolution of adaptive and species-specific characters. On the other hand, the evolutionary adaptive potential of long-lived tree species is decisive to react to fluctuating and changing environments in the near future. I think that work on genetic variation controlling complex adaptive traits in keystone species both in manipulative environments and under natural conditions will help to bridge the gap between genetic and ecological approaches to study the reaction of ecosystems to environmental change.
Generally, the interaction between innovative research and teaching is for me of major importance to provide students with a broad knowledge and skills, and to stimulate their creativity to develop and critically evaluate new ideas.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Ecological genetics and genomics
- Population genetics of forest trees
- Conservation genetics
- Genetic mapping and QTL analyses
- Forensic genetics
- Gailing, O., Vornam, B., Leinemann, L.L & R. Finkeldey. 2009. Genetic and genomic approaches to assess adaptive genetic variation in plants: forest trees as a model. Physiologia Plantarum 137:509-519. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3054.2009.01263.x
- Curtu, A. L., Gailing, O. & R. Finkeldey. 2009. Patterns of contemporary hybridization inferred from paternity analysis in a four-oak-species forest. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 2009, 9:284doi:10.1186/1471-2148-9-284.
- Finkeldey, R. Leinemann, L. & O. Gailing. 2010. Molecular genetic tools to infer the origin of forest plants and wood. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 85:1251–1258
- Gailing, O. 2010. Assessment of adaptive genetic variation in oaks with relation to the predicted climate change, Swiss Forestry Journal. 161: 216-222
- Derero, A., Gailing, O. & R. Finkeldey. 2010. Maintenance of genetic diversity in Cordia africana Lam., a declining forest tree species in Ethiopia. Tree Genetics and Genomes. DOI: 10.1007/s11295-010-0267-0.
- Durand, J., E., Bodenes , C., Chancerel, Frigerio, J.-M., Vendramin,G., Sebastiani, F., Buonamici, A., Gailing, O., Koelewijn, H.P., Villani F., Mattioni, C., Cherubini, M., Goicoechea, P.,Herran, A., Ikaran, Z., Cabane, C., Ueno, S., de Daruvar, A., Kremer, A. & C. Plomion. 2010. SSR mining in oak ESTs and bin mapping of 256 loci in a Quercus robur L. full-sib pedigree. BMC Genomics 11:570.
- Ekue, M.R.M., Gailing, O., Vornam, B. & R. Finkeldey. in press. Assessment of the domestication state of ackee (Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig) in Benin based on AFLP and microsatellite markers. Conservation Genetics. DOI: 10.1007/s10592-010-0155-z.