Students: Policies and Procedures
Please be aware of Michigan Tech Testing Center policies:
- Candidates should arrive 15 to 20 minutes before the scheduled exam time to allow sufficient time to sign in, store personal belongings and be ready to begin the exam at the designated time.
- For sponsored exams, candidates must present a valid, government-issued picture ID, such as a driver's license, state ID, military ID, passport or green card. For Michigan Tech courses, a university-issued student ID is also acceptable.
- Within the testing cubicles, PROHIBITED items include, but are not limited to, cell phones or other electronic devices, backpacks, and outerwear, such as coats. Candidates are provided a secure locker to store belongings while testing. Check with the proctor if you have any questions on what is permitted within the cubicle during testing.
- All personal items must be secured in a provided locker or stored off site during testing. This includes hats or clothing with attached hoods, scarves (unless worn for religious reasons), outerwear of any type (jackets, coats, pullovers, sweaters, etc.), and digital and analog watches. The Testing Center will provide a timing device so you can keep track of the time. Cell phones placed in lockers must be turned off, not just silenced. The candidate will maintain possession of the key to the locker.
- The Testing Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles left in lockers or in the reception area.
- The only materials allowed on the computer workstation while testing are your ID, scratch paper, and materials specified by the instructor (calculator, textbook, etc.).
- You may not communicate with anyone (other than Testing Center staff) during the exam. Raise your hand and wait for the proctor to come to you if you need assistance during the exam.
- Visitors are not permitted in the vicinity of the Testing Center during your scheduled exam.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center. Proper supervision of young children should be arranged off site prior to the exam.
- Candidates must have the proctor's permission prior to leaving the Testing Center. If you need to leave the Testing Center during the exam, an “exception” report will be submitted to the instructor or the sponsor.
- All exam sessions are monitored and may be recorded.
- Candidates are asked to be considerate of other examinees by talking quietly while checking in or leaving. Please avoid wearing strong perfumes or colognes.
- Testing Center staff is authorized to dismiss candidates from an exam session for violation of any Testing Center policies, for misconduct, or for perceived cheating.
Students who require special accommodations, such as extra time or quiet space during their exam, should ask their instructor to complete the online form. Students requesting accommodations must contact both the Student Disability Services Office and the instructor(s) of the course involved prior to each exam. Students should not attempt to negotiate accommodations with the Testing Center staff directly.
Rescheduling, Missed Appointments, Cancellations, and Refunds
All exam fees paid directly to the Michigan Tech Testing Center are non-refundable and non-transferable. Sponsored exams may or may not be rescheduled depending on the exam sponsor’s policy and the reason. If you scheduled your exam directly through an exam sponsor, such as ETS, Pearson VUE, or Kryterion, you will need to contact that exam sponsor regarding their policies for missing a scheduled test.
Terms and Conditions
Please be familiar with the terms and conditions, provided in the Pre-Test Agreement. You will need to sign a copy of this agreement when using the Testing Center.