- Chem Sci 620C
Associate Professor, Chemistry
- Postdoctoral, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- PhD, University of Missouri, St. Louis, Missouri
Our research interests are in the area of organic synthesis, which include the synthesis of natural and unnatural useful molecules and development of synthetic methodologies.
Recently, we have developed a new class of chiral ligands based on two common ferrocenyl motifs. These ligands are expected to be useful in asymmetric catalysis to control the stereochemistry of a wide range of organic transformations.
Another contribution we made recently is the development of two new methods for synthetic oligonucleotide purification. Due to the use of an innovative catching by polymerization approach, these methods are suitable for large scale purification of oligonucleotide drugs.
For more information on our contributions, please see our publication list and our group web site.
Currently, besides continuing the above projects, we are developing new methods for creating combinatorial libraries of macrocyclic biarylether peptides, inventing new technologies for the synthesis of base-labile oligonucleotides, synthesizing DNA analogs that are useful for antisense drug applications, and discovering new organic reactions.
Links of Interest
- Organic synthesis, including the synthesis of natural and unnatural useful molecules and the development of synthetic methodologies.
- (Invited publication) Shiyue Fang, Suntara Fueangfung, Yinan Yuan. Purification of Synthetic Oligonucleotides via Catching by Polymerization. In Current Protocols in Nucleic Acid Chemistry (Martin Egli, Piet Herdewijn, Akira Matusda, Yogesh S. Sanghvi, eds.). John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2012, Unit 10.14.1-10.14.21.
- Yinan Yuan, Suntara Fueangfung, Xi Lin, Durga Pokharel, Shiyue Fang. Synthetic 5′-Phosphorylated Oligodeoxynucleotide Purification through Catching Full-length Sequences by Polymerization. RSC Advances 2012, 2, 2803-2808.
- Xiang Zhang, Rudy L. Luck, Shiyue Fang. Ferrosalen and Ferrosalen-type Ligands: Structural Modulation and Applications in Asymmetric Catalysis. Organometallics 2011, 30, 2609-2616.
- Shiyue Fang, Suntara Fueangfung, Xi Lin, Xiang Zhang, Wenpeng Mai, Lanrong Bi, Sarah A. Green. Synthetic Oligodeoxynucleotide Purification by Polymerization of Failure Sequences. Chemical Communications 2011, 47, 1345- 1347.
- Xiang Zhang, Rudy L. Luck, Shiyue Fang. Stereoselective Synthesis of a Chiral Ferrosalen Ligand Using an Aromatization Strategy. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2011, 696, 2047-2052.
- Kyrie Pappas, Xiang Zhang, Shiyue Fang. Selective Acylation of Polyamines with Acid Anhydrides and Acid Chlorides in Water. Letters in Organic Chemistry 2010, 7, 539-541.
- Shiyue Fang, Suntara Fueangfung. Scalable Synthetic Oligodeoxynucleotide Purification with Use of a Catching by Polymerization, Washing and Releasing Approach. Organic Letters 2010, 12, 3720-3723.
- Purification of Synthetic Oligomers; U.S. Patent; Issued on December 14, 2010; Patent Number 7,850,949.
- Dyed Microspheres for Characterization of Photochemical Reactor Behavior; U.S. Patent; Issued on November 30, 2010; Patent Number 7,842,512.