Research Seed Grants (for more information, see FAQs)
Budget Deadline: February 28, 2013
Proposal Deadline: March 7, 2013 – 4:00 p.m.
REF Research Seed (REF-RS) grants are designed to provide untenured tenure-track academic faculty with resources to develop an externally supported research program. Typical REF-RS projects will develop preliminary data to be used in subsequent proposals to outside funding sources, support pilot studies developing new research methods or procedures, or support other activity leading to the development of an externally recognized and funded research program.
Untenured tenure-track academic faculty members in any academic unit are eligible to submit REF-RS proposals as the principal investigator. Teams of untenured faculty in one or more academic units are encouraged to submit joint proposals. Tenured faculty, research faculty, or research staff are not eligible to be Principal Investigators for REF-RS awards, but may be included as Co-Investigators on REF-RS proposals. A PI may only submit one proposal per category (see FAQs). Undergraduate support is allowable and needs to be clearly justified in the proposal. REF-RS grants may be up to $40,000 per year, with an expected average award of $30,000 per year.
Evaluation of Proposals
REF-RS proposals will be evaluated on:
- Likelihood of leading to the development of an externally supported research program, including future external graduate student funding.
- Contribution to the achievement of the University and unit strategic plans.
- Matching funds are not required, however the supporting letter from the Chair must clearly show the department's commitment to the success of the project.
All proposals must include a completed Required Elements Checklist-RS to ensure all necessary documents have been submitted. Please review this checklist prior to writing your proposal as it explains the requirements and page limits.With an expectation of a heavy volume of submission for this competition, please adhere to all guidelines including the proposal format.
Budgets must be reviewed and approved by the Sponsored Programs Office one week prior to the proposal deadline. Please submit your Budget and completed Cost Share/Matching Support Authorization Form (to Carol Wiitanen (email@example.com or 487-2225).
All cost share is to be disclosed in the budget justification and shown on the budget worksheet. You must also submit a completed Cost Share Authorization form (which is located on the Banner Self Service Site).
- Faculty salary support (including summer salary) is unallowable on all REF Awards.
- Graduate student support (stipend, tuition, hourly, etc) is unallowable on all REF Awards. Hourly graduate student support is allowed during the summer semester.
Letters of Support and Submission Requirements
- Submit one (1) copy of the final proposal to the appropriate Dean for review – the Dean will submit their letter of support directly to the VP Research office, Attn: Cathy Codere.
- Submit an electronic copy of the final proposal to Cathy Codere (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please send one (1) file in PDF format.
- Obtain letter of support from the appropriate Chair(s) and include with the final proposal.
- Submit one (1) copy of the final proposal, including the letter of support from the Chair(s), to the appropriate Dean for review – the Dean will submit their letter of support directly to the VP Research office, Attn: Cathy Codere.
- Please submit the Required Elements Checklist, Transmittal Form and Proposal as pdf files to Cathy Codere (email@example.com).
The Dean will send their letter of support directly to the VP Research Office, Attn: Cathy Codere. Dean letters are due within seven (7) calendar days of the proposal deadline. If faculty members from the same College/School submit multiple proposals, the Dean needs to prioritize the proposals from the College/School based on need and benefit.
If you need to make a modification to your REF award end date or budget, please send a completed Request for Modification Form (see resources box on this page) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org The form should provide a justification for the requested change and be signed by the required individuals. Please send the document as a PDF file.