Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Department of Mathematical Sciences at Michigan Technological University! We are passionate about creating new knowledge in mathematics and statistics and communicating this knowledge to our students.
Here are a few of the latest events in the department:
- The third annual Kliakhandler conference was held August 16-20. More than 40 statisticians came to Houghton for the conference on Bayesian Inference in Statistics and Statistical Genetics, organized by Associate Professor Min Wang and funded by a generous gift from Igor Kliakhandler, with further support from the National Science Foundation, the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, and Michigan Tech's College of Sciences and Arts.
- Don Saari (Tech '62) will give the third Kliakhandler Lectures on September 13-14. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Mathematical Society, the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, and the Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory. After earning his bachelor's degree from Michigan Tech, he earned master's and doctoral degrees from Purdue and went on to faculty positions at Northwestern University and the University of California at Irvine.
- Professor Qiuying Sha has been named the Portage Health Foundation's Endowed Professor in Population Health, effective Fall 2017. Dr. Sha's research focuses on genetic epidemiology and is funded by the National Institutes of Health.
- The department welcomes Xiao Zhang, a new tenure-track assistant professor in statistics. Dr. Zhang earned her PhD in Biostatistics from UCLA, and she has held faculty and research positions at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and UCLA.
- We have completed a remodel of our departmental computer lab to include 3D printers, a space for recording videos for blended and online classes, and a new collaboration space.
Whether you are a prospective student looking for a degree program or a prospective faculty member looking for a department that supports high-quality teaching and cutting-edge research, I hope you will browse our web pages and find the information you seek. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mark S. Gockenbach
Professor and Chair