- Eva-Marie Hatfield started in February of 2007 as our Center Director. She has a degree
in Social Science/Sociology with an emphasis in Education and 30 years of experience
in the Early Childhood field. She is married and has two daughters in college, and
one daughter who is a journalist living in Washington, DC. She enjoys spending time
with her family and living on Lake Superior.
- Program Director, Head Infant-Toddler Teacher
- Crystal Park started at Little Huskies in January of 2008 as a Head Teacher. In September
of 2016 she also became our Program Director and Head Infant-Toddler Teacher. She
graduated from Northern Michigan University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood
Education and a minor in Speech, Hearing, and Language Science. Crystal has worked
in Early Childhood for over 12 years. She is married and has two young children. Crystal
enjoys the arts, hiking, and spending time with her family.
- Laura Shilling started as a substitute teacher, and was hired as the Office Manager
in February of 2015. She is married, has three children, and was an Army wife for
27 years, until her husband retired in 2014. Laura has worked with children for over
15 years. She enjoys playing Irish fiddle music, reading, and camping with her family.
- Katie Gray started with us in October, 2016. She is a true foodie and loves to cook.
She has a Bachelor's Degree, is married and has two children. She enjoys spending
time with her family, camping, and being outdoors, and she enjoys being involved in
- Mallory Anderson started in September of 2015 as an Infant Teacher. She is the second
oldest in a family of nine children. Mallory has a Bachelor's Degree from Finlandia
University, and she has several years of experience working with children. Mallory
enjoys drawing, painting, snowboarding, and spending time with family and friends.
- Kaeti Birondo started in September 2016 as an Infant Teacher. She has over eight years
of experience working with infants and toddlers. Kaeti has a Degree in Early Childhood
Development, and she enjoys playing with and sharing activities with her young daughter.
- Debbie Bossenberger started in June of 2012 as an Infant Toddler Teacher. She has
a Child Development Associate and has worked with infants and toddlers in a center-based
setting for over 13 years. She is currently pursuing a degree in Early Childhood Education.
Debbie is married and has two adult children and two grandchildren. Her hobbies include
card making and scrapbooking.
- Jennifer Elkowitz started in September, 2015 as a Toddler Teacher. She has a Bachelor’s
Degree in Early Childhood Education from Western Michigan University. Jennifer is
married and has two teenage sons. She enjoys spending time with them, attending sports
events and managing her younger son’s budding career as a magician. She also helps
with their new family business, “Sweets from the Keweenaw”.
- Bethany Leonard started in November of 2007. She works as a teacher in all of the
Little Huskies classrooms. She has a Bachelor's Degree and a teaching certificate.
Bethany has more than 20 years of experience working with children. She enjoys music,
reading, and outdoor activities.
- Jocelyn Prewett started in May 2014 as a Head Infant/Toddler Teacher, and is now a
Head Preschool Teacher. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Development
and Learning from Central Michigan University, as well as seven years of experience
working with children in a variety of settings. Jocelyn lives in Houghton with her
husband and enjoys cooking, reading, knitting, and spending time outdoors.
- Courtney Hendrickson started working at Little Huskies as an intern in the summer
of 2013. She began teaching in the preschool room full time in August of 2014. Courtney
has a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and a minor in Sociology, with an emphasis in
Early Childhood Education. In her free time she enjoys seeing movies, staying active,
being outdoors, and spending time with family.
- Nikki Kaufman started in August 2012 as an intern. She works as a teacher in all of
the Little Huskies's classrooms. Nikki has a degree in Early Childhood Education,
and she enjoys working with children of all ages. Nikki is passionate about working
with and advocating for children with special needs. She loves spending time with
her family, especially movie nights.
- Adam Lucca started in the fall of 2016 as a Preschool Teacher. He has a Bachelor's
Degree from Northern Illinois University, and worked with children in the Chicago
area before moving to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. His brother is a student and basketball
player at Michigan Technological University. Adam also enjoys basketball and baseball,
and was very happy to see the Cubs win the World Series.
- Megan Mellinger began teaching Preschool in the spring of 2016. She has a Bachelor's
Degree in Elementary Education with endorsements in reading and ESOL (English for
Speakers of Other Languages). She comes to the UP from Tallahassee, Florida, and when
it's not too cold, she enjoys being outdoors. She also enjoys reading, writing, TV,
Learn about Gretchen's House Teachers
Meet the Gretchen's House Administrative Team