- M & M building 402
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Zhao's lab seeks to address the challenges associated with engineering completely biological cardiovascular tissues for regenerative medicine applications. We are developing innovative cell therapies using stem cell sheets to create 3D scaffold-free tissue constructs with the structural similarity, necessary mechanical characteristics, and sufficient immuno-compatibility to facilitate functional in vivo integration. We are also trying to recreate biomimetic microenvironment for 3D tissue development by precisely manipulating biomaterials, oxygen tension, and hydrodynamic culture conditions. The underlying mechanisms that regulate the tissue development are under ongoing investigation by the experimental replication of in vivo cell-cell and cell-environment interactions.
Links of Interest
- Stem cell therapies
- Naturally derived biomaterials
- Cell sheet engineering
- 3D scaffold-free tissue fabrication
- Cardiovascular tissue regeneration
- Neural Tissue Engineering
- Xing Q, Vogt C, Leong KW, Zhao F *. Highly aligned nanofibrous natural extracellular matrix scaffold derived from fibroblast cell sheets. Advanced Functional Materials, 2014; 24:1-9. Read More
- Xing Q, Yates K, Tahtinen M, Shearier E, Qian Z, Zhao F *. Decellularization of fibroblast cell sheets for natural extracellular matrix scaffold preparation. Tissue Engineering, in press.
- Xing Q, Vogt C, Yates K, Qian Z, Frost MC, Zhao F *. Increasing Mechanical Strength of Gelatin Hydrogels by Divalent Metal Ion Removal. Scientific Report, 2014;4:4706. Read More
- Liu X, Kirby M, Zhao F. Motion analysis and removal in intensity variation based OCT microangiography. Biomedical Optics Express, 2014; 5:3833-3847.
- Adams TNG, Janorkar A, Zhao F, and Minerick AR. Characterizing the Dielectric Properties of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells and the Effects of Charged Elastin-like Polypeptide Copolymer Treatment. Biomicrofluidics, 2014; 8:054109.
- Zhao Y, Xing Q, Janjanam J, He K, Long F, Low KB, Tiwari A, Zhao F, Shahbazian-Yassar R, Friedrich C, Shokuhfar T. Facile electrochemical synthesis of antimicrobial TiO2 nanotube arrays. International Journal of Nanomedicine, accepted.
- Vogt C, Xing Q, He W, Li B, Frost MC, Zhao F *. Fabrication and characterization of a nitric oxide-releasing nanofibrous gelatin matrix. Biomacromolecules, 2013;14:2521–2530. Read More
- Xing Q, Yates K, Bailey A, Vogt C, He W, Frost MC, Zhao F *. Effects of Local Nitric Oxide Release on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Attachment and Proliferation on Gelatin Hydrogel Surface. Surface Innovations, 2013;1:224-232. Read More