Bruce P. Lee
- M & M building 406
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- MS, Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- BS, Chemical Engineering, Cornell University
The Lee group research is focused on applying biologically-inspired molecular designs with chemistry, polymer engineering and materials science principles in developing advanced and functional materials for various biomedical applications. Current projects include applying biomimetic structural designs to create tough hydrogels that can potentially function as tissue adhesives or extracellular matrices for tissue repair and regeneration, and coatings to control biointerface of biomaterials that can prevent non-specific absorption of proteins, cells, and bacteria.
Prior to joining Michigan Tech, Dr. Lee helped found a start-up company, Nerites Corporation, which aimed at commercializing biomimetic bioadhesive and antifouling technologies. Nerites Corporation was acquired by Kensey Nash Corporation (part of Royal DSM) in 2011.
- Biomimetic, bio-inspired materials
- Antimicrobial and antifouling coatings
- Polymer chemistry
- Tissue adhesives
- Bruce P. Lee and Shari Konst. “Novel hydrogel actuator inspired by reversible mussel adhesive protein chemistry”. Advanced Materials, (2014), Accepted.
- Sarah Skelton,* Michael Bostwick,* Kyle O’Connor, Shari Konst, Samuel Casey and Bruce P. Lee. “Biomimetic adhesive containing nanocomposite hydrogel with enhanced materials properties”. Soft Matter, 9, 3825-33, (2013). *Equal contribution.
- Bruce P. Lee, Phillip B. Messersmith, Jacob N. Israelachvili, J. Herbert Waite. “Mussel-inspired adhesives and coatings”. Annual Review of Materials Research, 41, 99-132, (2011).
- Michael Brodie, Laura Vollenweider, John L. Murphy, Fangmin Xu, Arinne Lyman, William D. Lew, Bruce P. Lee. “Biomechanical properties of Achilles tendon repair augmented with bioadhesive-coated scaffold”. Biomedical Materials, 6, 015014 (2011).
- Niels Holten-Andersen, Matthew J. Harrington, Henrik Birkedal, Bruce P. Lee, Phillip B. Messersmith, Ka Yee C. Lee, J. Herbert Waite. “pH-induced mussel metal-ligand crosslinks yield self-healing polymer networks with near-covalent elastic moduli”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 15, 2651-2655 (2011).
- John L. Murphy, Laura Vollenweider, Fangmin Xu, Bruce P. Lee. “Adhesive performance of biomimetic adhesive-coated biologic scaffold”. Biomacromolecules, 11, 2976-2984 (2010).
- Haeshin Lee, Bruce P. Lee, Phillip B. Messersmith. "A reversible wet/dry adhesive inspired by mussels and geckos". Nature, 448, 338-342 (2007). (Cover Article)
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Bruce P. Lee, Sean A. Burke. "DOPA-Functionalized, Branched, Poly(aklylene oxide) Adhesives". US Patent 8,673,826, (issued 2014).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Haeshin Lee, Bruce P. Lee. “Biomimetic Modular Adhesive Complex: Materials, Methods and Applications Therefore”. US Patent 8,563,117 (issued 2013).
- Bruce P. Lee, Laura Vollenweider, John L. Murphy, Faming Xu, Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Jean Virosco, William Lew, Jed White. "Bioadhesive Constructs." US Patent 8,383,092 (Issued 2013).
- Jeffrey L. Dalsin, Bruce P. Lee, Laura Vollenweider, Sunil Silvary, John L. Murphy, Fangmin Xu, Amanda Spitz, Arinne Lyman. “Multi-Armed Catechol Compound Blends”. US Patent 8,119,742 (issued 2012).
- Phillip B. Messersmith, Bruce P. Lee, Jeffrey Dalsin, Lijun Lin. “Polymeric Compositions and Related Methods of Use”. JP Patent 5133048, (issued 2012).
- Bruce P. Lee. “Biomimetic Compounds and Synthetic Methods Therefore”. US Patents 7,622,533 (issued 2009), 8,030,413 (issued 2011).
- Kenneth R. Shull, Murat Guvendiren, Phillip B. Messersmith, Bruce P. Lee. “Modified acrylic block copolymers for hydrogels and pressure sensitive wet adhesives”. US Patents 7,635,737 (issued 2009), 7,732,539 (issued 2010), 7,943,703 (issued 2011).