Guidelines for Expenditures of Institutional Research and Development Funds (IRAD)
Michigan Tech institutional research and development funds are general funds allocated to Deans, Chairs, Center/Institute Directors, and researchers to provide resources to Colleges, Schools, Departments, Centers/Institutes, and researchers for use in enhancing research and graduate studies. The amounts allocated are calculated from Facilities and Administrative (F&A) reimbursements collected from sponsored research in the respective units or by the respective researchers.
|IRAD Return Rate|
|-College - 10%|
|-Department - 10%|
|Schools (Business, Technology, Forestry)||20%|
Allowable Expenses must enhance research and graduate studies and include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advertising for recruitment of research personnel, including graduate students;
- Business meals;
- Equipment used primarily or exclusively for research;
- Materials (supplies, purchased materials, and fabricated parts);
- Memberships in professional societies;
- Professional services (consultant and speaker fees);
- Proposal preparation costs;
- Salaries, wages and fringes for faculty, students, technical support staff, administrative staff, and clerical staff other than the account custodian; Salaries, wages, and fringes for the account custodian are only allowable if approved by the account custodian's direct supervisor and their direct supervisor.
- Travel costs related to research or graduate student activity.
Unallowable Expenses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Alumni/development activity;
- Donations and contributions;
- Entertainment (other than allowed business meals);
- Fines and penalties;
- Goods or services for personal use;
- Memberships in civic or community organizations, country clubs, or social/dining clubs;
- Personal travel costs.