The protection of human subjects participating in research projects is essential to the ethical conduct of University activities. It is imperative that these projects be designed and conducted in a manner that:
- Protects the integrity of the human subject, and
- Is in accordance with applicable Federal Regulations and University Policy.
CITI Course Training for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research
Register and select the appropriate training program.
- Login to CITI Login and Registration—for first-time user.
- Click on the link “New Users Register Here"
- Under "Participating Institutions, select MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY, in the drop down box (then submit).
- Create your own username and password (then submit)
- Enter your first name, last name, and preferred email address (then submit).
- Please provide the requested information (then submit)
- Now you can choose your CITI Curriculum.
- Next, choose the following CITI Curriculum (see sample PDF) by scrolling down to Question 1 and selecting:
Students conducting no more than minimal risk research.
- All investigators, faculty, staff, or students on the project are required to complete, at a minimum, this course.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Submit button.
This module should take approximately 20–30 minutes to complete. If needed, you may complete the training course in several sessions. Returning to the site requires signing in with your Username and Password.
Certification of successful completion can be obtained by downloading the Completion Report after finishing all of the prescribed modules. Do not print and submit your grade book as evidence of completion. Your grade will be electronically sent to our office.
NOTE: Michigan Technological University is requiring researchers to take the CITI refresher courses every two years. If you have the NIH training, this will be valid up to two years from the time you completed the training.