Borrowing from this Library
Patrons may borrow materials both from our library and from other libraries with which we share interlibrary borrowing privileges. Faculty, students, and staff are eligible for the Michigan Tech HuskyCard. Community members and other patrons are eligible for our Courtesy Borrowing Card.
Michigan Tech faculty and staff may use their HuskyCard to borrow materials from the library. This includes books, maps government publications and media. Reference books, microforms and special collections may be borrowed for onsite use.
Students may use their HuskyCard to borrow library material, print course reserves and to check out productivity tools.
Courtesy Borrowing Card
Eligible community members may request a Courtesy Borrowing Card by providing current identification and a local address. To be eligible for a Courtesy Borrowing Card, an individual must be 18 or older, and a summer resident or permanent resident of Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga or Ontonagon County. Family of faculty and staff are also eligible. MeLCat interlibrary loan service is included. Visit the Library and IT Service Center for details.
Below are the loan and renewal periods for materials in the library's circulating collections. Please note: all patrons may request a recall of any currently loaned library materials.
The library also makes productivity tools available. These tools can be borrowed from the Library and IT Service Center on a first-come, first-served basis.
|Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students, and Honors Institute Members||Loan Period||Renewal|
|Main Collection||17 weeks||3 seventeen-week renewals allowed|
|Leisure Collection||5 weeks||1 one-week renewal allowed|
|Periodicals||Building Use Only (staff, graduate and honors students)
3 days (faculty)
|Reference Collection||5 days||1 five day renewal allowed|
|Standards Collection||5 days|
|Undergraduates and Courtesy Card Holders|
|Main Collection||5 weeks||3 five-week renewals allowed|
|Popular Collection||5 weeks||1 one-week renewal allowed|
|Periodicals||Building Use Only||None|
Fines and Fees for Overdue and Recalled Materials
- Borrowed items kept beyond their due date are considered overdue. The library will send regular overdue notices to the patron via email. Please see the library’s Borrowing Rules and Fees chart for details and timing of these notices.
- Loss of borrowing privileges will occur if either:
- $30 or more in fines and fees is owed.
- A recalled item is overdue.
- If an item is recalled, fines of $5/day will accrue starting on the due date in the recall notice.
- Due to high demand, productivity tools returned after their due date/time will accrue overdue fines at $5.00/hour.
- Library patrons will receive an e-mail courtesy notice prior to an item's due date. At that time patrons may:
- If an overdue item is not returned it will be declared "lost". Patrons will be billed for the replacement cost of the lost item plus any accrued overdue fines and/or processing fees. See the library's Lost/Damaged Materials/Resources Replacement Policy for details.
- Patrons may appeal library charges under certain circumstances. See Appealing Library Charges policy for details.