Jason R. Carter
- Yang H, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Carter JR. Total sleep deprivation alters cardiovascular reactivity to acute stressors in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology (In Press). Epub, July 19, 2012
- Carter JR. Sympathetic neural tone: Large and in charge throughout pregnancy. Journal of Physiology (London). (In Press).
- Carter JR, Schwartz CE, Yang H, and Joyner MJ. Fish oil and neurovascular control in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology (In Press). Epub June 15, 2012.
- Carter JR, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Yang H. Sympathetic neural responses to 24-hour sleep deprivation in humans: sex differences. American Journal of Physiology – Heart and Circulation Physiology 302:H1991-H1997, 2012. Epub March 9, 2012.
- Yang H, Cooke WH, Reed KS, and Carter JR. Sex differences in hemodynamic and sympathetic neural firing patterns during orthostatic challenge in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology 112:1744-1751, 2012. Epub March 8, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KM, King ME, and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology 301:R1773-R1778, 2011. Epub Sept 28, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Klein JC, and Carter JR. Attenuation of sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity during the onset of acute mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology 300:H1788-H1793, 2011. Epub Feb 25, 2011.
- Gui L, Bao Z,Jia Y, Qin X, Cheng ZX, Zhu J, Chen QH. Ventricular tachyarrhythmias in rats with acute myocardial infarction involves activation of small-conductance Ca2+-activated K+channels. Am J Physiol Heart and Circ Physiol. 2013;304(1):H118-30
- Gui L, LaGrange LP, Larson RA, Gu M, Zhu J, Chen QH. Role of small conductance calcium-activated potassium channels expressed in hypothalamic PVN in regulating sympathetic nerve activity and arterial blood pressure. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;303(3):R301-310.
- Lin M, Hatcher JT, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Harden WS, Li L and Cheng ZX: Maternal Diabetes Increases Large Conductance Ca2+-Activated K+ (BK) Outward Currents Which Alter Action Potential (AP) Properties But Do Not Contribute to Attenuated Excitability of Parasympathetic Cardiac Motoneurons (PCMNs) In the Nucleus Ambiguus (NA) of Neonatal Mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2011; 300:R1070-1078.
- Lin M, Hatcher JT, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Harden WS and Cheng ZX: Small Conductance Ca2+- Activated K+ Channels Regulate Firing Properties and Excitability in Parasympathetic Cardiac Motoneurons in the Nucleus Ambiguus. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010, 299(6):C1285-1298.
- Chen QH*, Andrade MA Calderon AS and Toney GM: Hypertension induced by angiotensin II and a high salt diet involves reduced SK current and increased excitability of RVLM projecting PVN neurons. J Neurophysiology. 2010, 104 (5):2329-2337. (* corresponding author)
- Lin M, Chen QH, Wurster RD, Hatcher JT, Liu YQ, Li LH, Harden WS, and Cheng ZX: Maternal Diabetes Increases Activity of Small Conductance Ca2+-activated K+ (SK) Channels Which Alters Action Potential Properties and Excitability of Cardiac Motoneurons in the Nucleus Ambiguus. J Neurophysiol. 2010; 104(4):2125-2138.
- Chen QH and Toney GM: In vivo discharge properties of hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus neurons with axonal projections to the rostral ventrolateral medulla. J. Neurophysiology 2010; 103(1):4-15.
- Chen QH* and Toney GM: Excitability of paraventricular nucleus neurons that project to the rostral ventrolateral medulla is regulated by small-conductance Ca2+ -activated K+ channels. J. Physiology, 2009; 587:4235-4247. (* corresponding author)
- Brenner R*, Chen QH*, Vilaythong A, Toney GM, Noebels JL, Aldrich RW: BK channel beta4 subunit reduces dentate gyrus excitability and protects against temporal lobe seisures. Nature Neurosci. 2005 Dec; 8(12):1752-9. (* co-first authors) (This paper has been evaluated by the Faculty of 1000 Biology Evaluation System; Exceptional). (http://f1000biology.com/article/id/1028946/evaluation).
John J. Durocher
- Yang H, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Carter JR. Total Sleep Deprivation Alters Cardiovascular Reactivity to Acute Stressors in Humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, (In Press, JAPPL-00561-2012R1, July 19, 2012).
- Carter JR, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Yang H. Sympathetic Neural Responses to 24-hour Sleep Deprivation in Humans: Sex Differences. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 302: H1991-1997, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KJ, King ME and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state-anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 301(6): R1773-1778, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Klein JC and Carter JR. Attenuation of sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity during the onset of acute mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 300(5): H1788-93, 2011.
- Carter JR, Stream SF, Durocher JJ, and Larson RA. Influence of acute alcohol ingestion on sympathetic neural responses to orthostatic stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, 300: E771-E778, 2011.
- Schwartz CE, Durocher JJ, and Carter JR. Neurovascular responses to mental stress in prehypertensive humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, 110: 76-82, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Guisfredi AJ, Leetun DT, and Carter JR. Comparison of on-ice and off-ice graded exercise testing in collegiate hockey players. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 35(1): 35-39, 2010.
Steven J. Elmer
- Elmer, S.J., & Martin, J.C. (2014). A cycling workstation to facilitate physical activity in office settings. Applied Ergonomics, 45, 1240-1246.
- Elmer, S.J., Marshall, C.S., McGinnis, K.R., Van Haitsma, T.A., & LaStayo, P.C. (2013). Eccentric arm cycling: physiological characteristics and potential applications with clinical and athletic populations. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 113, 2541-2552.
- Elmer, S.J., Marshall, C.S., Wehmanen, K.W., Amann, M., McDaniel, J., Martin, D.T., & Martin, J.C. (2012). Effects of locomotor muscle fatigue on joint-specific power production during cycling. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 44, 1504-1511.
- Elmer, S.J., Hahn, S.A., McAllister, P.D., Leong, C., & Martin, J.C. (2012). Improvements in multi-joint leg function following chronic eccentric exercise. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 22, 653-661.
- Elmer, S.J., Barratt, P., Korff, T., & Martin, J.C. (2011). Joint-specific power production during submaximal and maximal cycling. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 43, 1940-1947.
- Elmer, S.J., Madigan, M.L., LaStayo, P.C., & Martin, J.C. (2010). Joint-specific power absorption during eccentric exercise. Clinical Biomechanics, 25, 154-158.
L. Syd M Johnson
- Johnson, LSM. 2014. Sport-related neurotrauma and neuroprotection: Are Return-to-Play protocols justified by paternalism? Neuroethics. DOI: 10.1007/s12152-014-9213-4
- Johnson, LSM. Needed: More honesty about death before donation. Impact Ethics. (May 2014) Read More
- Johnson, LSM. A pathway to reducing concussions in youth hockey. Concussion Litigation Reporter 2014; 2(9)
- Johnson, LSM. A tragic death, and a fight for life. Impact Ethics. Read More
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Bioethicists as Public Advocates." Impact Ethics. (November 2013) Read More
- “Can they suffer? The ethical priority of quality of life research in disorders of consciousness" in Bioethica Forum 2013; 6(4): 129-136.
- "Abortion II: Contemporary Ethical and Legal Aspects: Ethical Perspectives" in Encyclopedia of Bioethics 4e. Ed. Jennings, Bruce. New York; Macmillan (in press).
- (Co-authored with B Partridge) “Sports concussions and sandbagging” in Bioethics Forum. (2013). Read More
- “Needed: Objective measures of subjective well-being” for NeuroEthics Women Leaders blog. (2013). Read More
- “Stable value sets, psychological well-being, and the disability paradox: ramifications for assessing decision making capacity” in AJOB Neuroscience 2013; 4(4):24-25.
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Return to play guidelines cannot solve the football-related concussion problem" in Journal of School Health 2011; 82 (4): 180-185.
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "The Ethically Dubious Practice of Thwarting the Redemption of the Condemned" in American Journal of Bioethics 2011; 11 (10): 9-10.
- Gilbert, F., Johnson, L. Syd M., "The Impact of American Tackle Football-Related Concussion in Youth Athletes" in AJOB Neuroscience 2011; 2 (4): 48-59.
Zhiying (Jenny) Shan
- Qi X, Shan Z, Ji Y, Guerra V, Alexander JC, Ormerod BK, Bruijnzeel AW. Sustained AAV-mediated overexpression of CRF in the central amygdala diminishes the depressive-like state associated with nicotine withdrawal. Transl Psychiatry. 4: e385, 2014.
- Shan Z, Zubcevic J, Shi P, Jun JY, Dong Y, Murça TM, Lamont GJ, Cuadra A, Yuan W, Qi Y, Li Q, Paton JF, Katovich MJ, Sumners C, Raizada MK. Chronic knockdown of the nucleus of the solitary tract AT1 receptors increases blood inflammatory-endothelial progenitor cell ratio and exacerbates hypertension in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Hypertension, 61(6):1328-1333. 2013.
- Zubcevic J, Jun JY, Lamont GL, Murca Tatiane, Shi P, Carvajal JM, Lin F, Li Q, Raizada MK, Shan Z. NTS (pro)renin receptor (PRR)-mediated antihypertensive effect involves NF-KappaB-cytokine signaling in the spontaneously hypertensive rats. Hypertension, 61:622-627. 2013.
- Agassandian K, Shan Z, Raizada MK, Sved AF, Card JP. C1 Catecholamine neurons form local circuit synaptic connections within the rostroventrolateral medulla of rat. Neuroscience, Neuroscience. 27;227:247-59.2012.
- Verma A, Shan Z, Lei B, Yuan L, Liu X, Nakagawa T, Grant MB, Lewin AS, Hauswirth WW, Raizada MK, Li Q . ACE2 and Ang-(1-7) Confer Protection Against Development of Diabetic Retinopathy. 20, 28-36. Mol Ther. 2012.
- Shan Z, Shi P, Cuadra AE, Dong Y, Lamont GJ, Li Q, Navar LG, Katovich MJ, Sumners C and Raizada MK. Involvement of the brain (pro)renin receptor in cardiovascular homeostasis. Circulation Research, 107, 934-938. 2010.
- Yoon T, Vanden Noven ML, Nielson KA, and Hunter SK. Brain areas associated with force steadiness and intensity during isometric ankle dorsiflexion in men and women. Exp Brain Res 2014 (Accepted)
- Keller-Ross ML, Pereira HM, Pruse J, Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B, Nielson KA, Hunter SK. Stressor-induced increase in muscle fatigability of young men and women is predicted by strength but not voluntary activation. J Apply Physiol 116(7):767-78, 2014 Read More
- Vanden Noven M, Pereira HM, Yoon T, Stevens A, Nielson KA, Hunter SK. Motor Variability during Sustained Contractions Increases with Cognitive Demand in Older Adults. Front Aging Neurosci. 6:97, 2014 Read More
- Hoeger Bement MK, Weyer A, Yoon T, Hunter SK. Corticomotor excitability during a noxious stimulus and following exercise in women with fibromyalgia. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 31(1):94-8, 2014 Read More
- Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B. and Hunter SK. Fatigability and Recovery of Arm Muscles with Advanced Age for Dynamic and Isometric Contractions. Experimental Gerontology 48: 259-268, 2013 Read More
- Senefeld J, Yoon T, Bement MH, Hunter SK. Fatigue and Recovery form Dynamic Contractions in Men and Women Differ for Arm and Leg Muscles. Muscle Nerve 48: 436-439, 2013. Read More
- Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B, Keller M, & Hunter SK. Supraspinal fatigue impedes recovery from a low-intensity sustained contraction in old adults. J Appl Physiol 112:849-858, 2012. Read More
- Keller ML, Pruse JM, Schlinder-Delap B, Yoon T, Hunter SK. Supraspinal fatigue is similar in men and women for a low-force fatiguing contraction. Med Sci Sports Exerc 43: 1873-1883, 2011. Read More
- Griffith EE, Yoon T & Hunter SK. Aging and load compliance influence time to task failure for a submaximal fatiguing contraction with the lower leg. J Appl Physiol 108: 1510-1519, 2010. Read More
- Yoon T, Keller M, Schlinder-Delap B, Harkins A, Lepers R, Hunter SK. Sex differences in response to cognitive stress during a fatiguing contraction. J Appl Physiol 107: 1486-1496, 2009. Read More