Ernest C. Kemp
While enrolled at Michigan Technological University, Ernie Kemp enrolled in the first class of the Civil Pilot training program. He then became a flight instructor and flew many wartime flights over the Himalayas in World War II. After the war he returned to Michigan Tech and received his B.S. in Geology in 1941. He was then hired to teach geology here. In 1946 he moved to the new Sault Ste. Marie branch of Michigan Tech (now Lake Superior State University) and led the successful development of a geology program there.
Ernie achieved renown as an inspiring teacher and citizen of Sault Ste. Marie and received an Outstanding Teaching Award from LSSU in 1963. He was a much-loved teacher who was known for his sense of humor and commitment to helping students. He was also a mining consultant in Canada and the U.S. and then became the Dean of the Faculty for several years before his retirement in 1980.
From 1996 Induction to the Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences Academy