Guidance for Submitting 2012 Federal Tax Information
To use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), you must have filed your taxes electronically at least 2-3 weeks ago or have filed your paper tax return at least 8-11 weeks ago.
View the tutorial or follow the steps below to update the tax information on the FAFSA using IRS DRT:
IRS Data Retrieval Tutorial
IRS Data Retrieval Tool Instructions:
- Go to the website: www.FAFSA.gov
- Login to the student’s FAFSA record
- Select “Make FAFSA Correction”
- Select the “Financial Information” tab
- Choose the financial information for parent or student
- Follow the instructions to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- Be sure that the tax return status is “Already completed” then answer/update the questions regarding IRS Retrieval Tool options
- If eligible for data retrieval, enter the appropriate PIN then “Link to IRS”
- Select “ok” to leaving the FAFSA Website
- Enter name, address and filing status EXACTLY as it appears on your Federal Tax Return. If middle initial is on the tax return, enter a space after the first name and then the middle initial. Click “Submit.”
- Check the box under “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” then click “ Transfer Now”
- Choose the “Sign & Submit” tab then sign electronically using the PIN(s)
- Scroll to bottom of page and select “Submit My FAFSA Now”
If you receive an “information does not match” message, this may be because:
- Tax return was recently filed and the information is not available from the IRS; see above processing time
- Address associated with PIN number does not match address on tax return
- SSN does not match
IRS DRT cannot be used by a student or parent if—
- A 2012 amended return was filed or you have not yet filed your tax return
- The student or parent is married and the tax filing status is Married Filing Separately or Head of Household
- A 2012 Puerto Rican or foreign tax return was filed
Important: Please submit W-2 Form(s) as neither IRS Data Retrieval nor the Tax Return Transcript provides individual earnings. If there is business or farm income, submit Schedules C or F also.
If you cannot successfully use the IRS DRT, a Tax Return Transcript and W-2 Form(s) must be provided. You may obtain the Tax Return Transcript by using one of the following methods:
1.) Request online at the IRS web site at www.irs.gov
Under Tools, click “Order a Return or Account Transcript”; click “Order a Transcript”; enter tax filer’s SSN, date of birth, and address; click “continue”; for Type of Transcript select “Return Transcript”—NOT Account Transcript; for Tax Year “2012”.
2.) Request by calling the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
Enter tax filer’s SSN, address (currently on file with IRS); select “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript—NOT Account Transcript; and then enter “2012.”
3.) Paper—Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ (Not 4506-T) at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
Complete lines 1-4 using instructions on page 2 of form; skip Line 5 (do not send to aid office); on line 6 enter “2012”; tax filer must sign, date, enter telephone; mail or fax to IRS as noted on page 2 of form.
- To verify that an IRA or pension distribution was rolled over, please submit 2012 1099-R form(s).
- Married tax filers who file separate returns must submit a Tax Return Transcript for each filer.
- If your initial tax return was corrected or amended, please notify our office. Alternative documentation will be required.
- The Tax Return Transcript should be received within 5 to 10 days (longer for paper requests) from when it is requested.