FAFSA Verification

Guidance for Submitting 2014 Federal Tax Information


Option 1:  Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)

To use IRS DRT, you must have filed your taxes electronically at least 2-3 weeks ago or have filed your paper tax return at least 6-8 weeks ago.

View the tutorial or follow the steps below to update the tax information on the FAFSA using IRS DRT: 

IRS Data Retrieval Tutorial

  1. Go to the website: www.FAFSA.gov and click “Login.”
  2. Enter your student information and click “Next.”
  3. Click “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
  4. Enter your Federal Student Aid 4 digit PIN. Create and re-enter a password and click “Next.”
  5. Click on the “Financial Information” tab. Select “Already Completed” for the tax filing status and answer eligibility questions.
    Be aware of the financial information you are viewing—student or parent. To access the student’s data, scroll to the bottom
    of the parent data and click “Next.”
  6. If eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, enter the appropriate PIN number and click “Link to IRS.”
  7. Click “OK” to leave the FAFSA website and enter the IRS Data Retrieval Tool website.
  8. Click “OK” to accept the IRS Data Retrieval Tool terms of use.
  9. Enter the requested information. Enter the address exactly as it appears on your Federal Tax Return and click “Submit.”
  10. Check the box “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” then click “Transfer Now.” Transfer will occur and you will be returned to the FAFSA website.
  11. Do not change any answers that say “Transferred from the IRS”; answer question(s) asking how much was earned and click “Next.”
    Attention—If you are retrieving both parent and student IRS data, Steps 5 through 11 must be undertaken for each filer prior to continuing to Step 12.
  12. Click the “Sign & Submit” tab near the top of the page. Enter the required PIN(s) and click “Sign.” Then agree to the Terms of Agreement and click “Submit My FAFSA Now.

If you receive an “information does not match” message, this may be because:

  • Tax return was recently filed and the information is not available from the IRS; see above processing time.
  • Address associated with PIN number does not match address on tax return or SSN does not match. Having trouble with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool? See the reverse side of this page.

IRS DRT cannot be used by a student or parent if:

  • A 2014 amended tax return (1040X) was filed, you have not yet filed your tax return, or a foreign tax return was filed.
  • The student or parent is married and the tax filing status is Married Filing Separately or Head of Household

TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. Please see the IRS Statement on the "Get Transcript" Application. Option 2: Obtain a Free Tax Return Transcript—If unable to use IRS DRT, select one of the following methods:

  • Request online at the IRS website at www.irs.gov
    • Under the Tools heading ontheIRS homepage, click “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records.”
      • Get Transcript by MAIL Joint filers should provide information for the first person listed on the tax return; enter SSN, date of birth, and address; click “continue”; for Type of Transcript select “Return Transcript”—NOT Account Transcript; for Tax Year “2014”; or
      • Get Transcript ONLINE The IRS will display a transcript in PDF that can be saved and/or printed for submission. If you cannot gain access, we have no mechanism to intervene. In such cases, the IRS suggests that the filer try “Get Transcript by MAIL.”
  • Request by calling the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
    • You will be given an online option but continue to hold. You will be prompted to enter tax filer’s SSN, address; select
      “Option 2” to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript—NOT Account Transcript; and then enter “2014.”
  • IRS2Go Mobile App. To get the app, go to IRS2Go Mobile App
  • Paper—Download IRS Form 4506T-EZ (Not 4506-T) here. As this method can take 4 to 6 weeks, it is least recommended. Instructions can be found online.

Additional information:

  • To verify that an IRA or pension distribution was rolled over, please submit 2014 1099-R form(s).
  • Married tax filers who file separate returns must submit a Tax Return Transcript for each filer.
  • If your initial tax return was corrected or amended, please notify our office. Alternative documentation will be required.
  • Submit 2014 W-2 form(s) since neither the IRS DRT process nor the tax return transcript provide individual earnings. If there is
    a business or farm, submit Schedules C and/or F.