6.4 Workers Compensation
As an employee, you are covered by Workers' Compensation for job-related injuries. Injuries need to be reported to the appropriate supervisor(s) as soon as possible. If medical attention is required, the supervisor should immediately refer the injured employee to the University's medical group, currently University Center—UP Health System Portage (Houghton) or UP Health System Portage (Hancock).
Reporting a Work-Related Injury or Health Claim
Complete a Supervisor's Incident and Injury Report Form. It must be completed and signed by the supervisor and forwarded to Environmental Health and Safety within 24 hours of the incident. The Benefits Office will process the insurance claim and provide the injured party with additional information.
Returning to Work
Michigan Tech's policy is to return an employee to work as soon as possible under one of the following three options:
- employee's present position
- employee's present position with temporary restrictions
- a temporary "work with restrictions" position
- assumes the medical expenses for employees sustaining occupational injuries
- reserves the right to select a physician to treat an injured employee, at its expense, during the first 28 days of lost time
- will pay a regular employee who suffers an injury payable under the Worker's Disability Act the difference between the regular wages and payment received under the provisions of the act, to be deducted from accumulated sick leave, prorated. If sick leave is exhausted, the employee will remain on Worker's Disability until his/her benefits are exhausted.
03/06/2017 - Annual Review: To reflect current practice, changed "Portage Medical Group" to "University Center—UP Health System Portage." Changed "Portage Health" to "UP Health System Portage." Changed "Occupational Safety and Health Services (OSHS)" to "Environmental Health and Safety." Changed "...during the first 10 days of lost time" to "...during the first 28 days of lost time"
12/08/2016 - Annual Review: No changes made to content.
01/29/2015 - Annual Review: To reflect current practice, the email address for questions is now firstname.lastname@example.org. No changes made to content.
02/21/2014 - Annual Review: Updated Michigan Tech and Handbook banners. Under "Reporting a Work-Related Injury or Health Claim" the first sentence read: "Complete a Supervisor's Incident and Injury Investigation Report" and now reads "Complete a Supervisor's Incident and Injury Report Form."
06/22/2011 - Annual Review: Revised to reflect current University practice and titles, added headings Reporting a Claim, Returning to Work, and Conditions, and the email address for questions is now hbwebmaster.
10/20/2010 - Format changes.