What's the Process?
PLEASE NOTE: All non-emergency requests go through a web based management system called Maintenance Direct. Please do not call in any requests.
Please follow these instructions to use the system: Here are the instructions with screen shots.
- Go to myschoolbuilding.com. This link should bring you to the Michigan Tech account.
- If you do not see the Michigan Tech logo and you are asked for an account number, enter 561783296.
- Enter you full email address including @mtu.edu
- Enter your last name if requested.
- Fill in your first name and phone numbers so we can contact you.
- On the Work Request page,
- Select your building, floor and room number(s)
- Pick a category
- Describe the work being requested. INCLUDE AN ACCOUNT NUMBER FOR BILLING IF THE WORK IS BILLABLE. (see below)
- Select a purpose.
- Provide a requested completion date
- Attach a file if desired.
- Type in the word "password" for the password (no quotes), NOT your logon or ISO password.
After you hit the Submit button, it is forwarded to one of the Zone Managers and you will receive an email confirmation that your request has been submitted and the work request number.
You may get a call or email from someone in Facilities if they need more information from you, or if they need to schedule a time to review the situation.
You can log in to the site again at any time to check on the status of your work order request(s). Just click on the “My requests” tab.
You cannot modify the request once it has been submitted
What Can I Request?
Facilities maintenance staff maintain all items related to routine repair of buildings, structures, and appurtenances, including normally recurring repairs and preventive maintenance. The grounds staff assists with furniture and equipment moving.
Examples of work order requests include:
- Plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and ventilation
- Maintenance painting and glazing
- Furniture and equipment moving (grounds staff)
- Interior and exterior of buildings
Engineering Services Requests
- Remodeling, changing the use of existing space, or planning a new facility—submit a work request and use Engineering as the Craft.
- Capital projects (>$50,000)—see Engineering Services for the Estimate Request Form.
Billable vs Non-billable Projects
Here is a list of items that are covered by Facilities Management and those that are covered by Departments. If your request is considered billable, you must include an account number in your description.
In general, non-billable services are routine maintenance on the infrastructure of the building and care of grounds. Billable work is outside the category of routine maintenance. For instance, special requests from departments, auxiliary units, or administrative units for services not considered ordinary maintenance or requests made outside the normal schedule for routine maintenance. The Director of Facilities Management will determine the billing status of projects.