Route Descriptions and Equipment
Three sets of grounds staff work in tandem to grade, plow, clear snow, and sand the Michigan Tech campus. While they work, staff operating two all-terrain 4x4 utility vehicles with plows and a pickup truck with a sander clean up the campus mall and all sidewalks. In addition, a 4x4 highway truck sander is used to scrape and sand University roads and parking gate approaches.
Grader 1 and Loader 3
Grader 1 and Loader 3 work together as follows.
Grader 1 Route
1996 Champion 720 IV Articulate Tandem Drive with 13-foot snow wing
- Phoenix Drive and Lots 31 and 34
- Lot 22 and Service Drive around the Student Development Complex
- Cliff Drive and Lots 1, 2, and 3
- Lots 8, 14, and 9
- Daniell Heights—roads, parking areas, visitor lots, and day care pickup area
- Cemetery Road
- Student Development Complex Lots 23 and 24, and sidewalks
- University owned cross country ski trail access road
Loader 3 Route
1994 Case 621B Front End Loader,
SAE bucket cap. = 2.5 C.Y., snow bucket cap. = 6 C.Y.
- Lots 31 and 34
- Lot 7 to clear loading dock
- Lot 1 to clean out corners and dock areas
- Lot 3, the docks at Chemical Sciences, Dow, and Dillman
- Lots 8, 9, and 14
- Hockey Education Center
- Student Development Complex parking lots and sidewalks
Loaders 1 and 2
Loaders #1 and #2 work together as follows:
Loader 1 Route
2005 John Deer 624 Front End Loader
Rylind snow blade, 13’ wide, Snow Bucket Cap. = 6 C.Y.
- Begins by plowing around Heating Plant and proceeds to plow College Avenue, Hubbell Street, Houghton Avenue, clearing snow away from parking meters, and the circle drive at the Library Building.
- Proceeds to Lots #11, 12, 13, and 27.
- Proceeds to the Forestry Building driveway and adjacent parking lots.
- Proceeds to Lots #26 and 32.
Loader 2 Route
1994 Case 621B Front End Loader
SAE Bucket Cap. = 2.5 C.Y., Snow Bucket Cap. = 6 C.Y.
- Starts east along Houghton Avenue to the Memorial Union Building Staff parking lot and service entrance.
- Proceeds to Lots #13 loading dock.
- Proceeds to Meese Center.
- Proceeds to Public Safety parking lots.
- Proceeds to Lot #18 and surrounding sidewalks.
- Proceeds to Lot #26 and walkways.
- Proceeds to Student Development Complex to assist in cleaning the parking lots and sidewalks.
Loader 4 Route
1992 John Deere 444E Front End Loader
SAE Bucket Cap. = 1.75 C.Y.
- Begins at loading docks on south side of Wadworth Hall and McNair Hall.
- Proceeds to Lots #15 east and 15 west.
- Proceeds to Lot #16.
- Proceeds to sidewalks around both Wadsworth Hall and McNair Hall.
- Proceeds to staff parking lots on south side of Wadsworth Hall.
- Proceeds to Service Drive, sidewalks and parking lots at Daniell Heights.
- Proceeds to Lots #4 and 17 to clear as much as possible.
2007 International 4x4 truck with highway sander and under-blade.
- Begins sanding, as soon as the snow removal is completed, in the various parking lots and roads on campus, generally working from west to east.
- Proceeds to the Resident Halls, Daniell Heights, Forestry Building, and Student Development Complex.
- Proceeds to Mount Ripely Ski Hill, and Portage Lake Golf Course.
- Proceeds to main campus to check for areas requiring additional sanding.
- Provides sanding and scraping throughout day.