Preparing for Winter
Bike racks and outdoor furniture are put in storage, lawn sprinkler systems are drained and shut off, trees and shrubs are wrapped, tied, or otherwise protected—all in preparation for a snowy winter. In addition,
- Buckets of sand are placed at each building.
- Sand/rock salt mixtures are stockpiled.
- Tall markers are placed on steam tunnel vent stacks and fire hydrants.
Winter Parking Rules
Overnight Parking—To allow for snow removal, parking is prohibited on campus between 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m., from November 1 through April 30, except as follows. Those needing to park on campus overnight may ask Public Safety for a special overnight parking permit.
- Occupants of University housing may park in their designated parking areas
- Employees who work an assigned shift may park in assigned overnight parking space
Please visit these websites for information on parking regulations and vehicle registration.
Residence Hall and Apartment Snow Removal—The Grounds staff removes as much snow as possible from the rear of parked cars in residential housing lots. However, students are responsible for digging out their own cars.
Students are required to move their cars from lots 4, 10, 17, 20, and 21 three times each year so snow can be cleared.
- Before leaving for break between fall and spring semesters
- Before leaving for spring break.
- One additional time between January and spring break
Public Safety will post notices at least twenty-four hours in advance designating alternate lots.