Lawn Care and Plantings
The Grounds staff maintain all of the trees and shrubs on the main campus mall area and around the Student Development Complex. Activities include all trimming, pruning, planting and transplanting, fertilizing, watering, and removal of diseased or hazardous trees and shrubs.
The concerted and ambitious effort to plan and plant northern ecologically sustainable gardens at Michigan Tech began in 2008. Our advanced master gardener, with the help of students, has developed more than sixty sites. Growth influences common to any garden—sun, shadow, wind, water, and soil— were applied with a campus environment in mind and the pluses and minuses of heavy lake-effect snows.
Our gardens are stunning, but don't take our word for it. Walk through campus and enjoy the colors and aromas.
- Sustainable Gardens at Michigan Tech—walking tour
- Rozsa Center: perennial cottage garden
- Student Memorial Garden: the language of flowers (each plant has a meaning)
- Keweenaw Boulder Garden: all foundational rocks in the Keweenaw
- Wind Garden: ornamental grass garden
- Cheryl Depuydt Memorial Garden
- Memorial Union: veggie garden (pick a few!)