Director, Career Services
- Doctor Candidate, Higher Education Leadership, University of Nebraska–Lincoln (doctoral defense in spring 2016)
- MS, K-12 Educational Leadership, University of Cincinnati
- BS, Social Sciences, Michigan Technological University
- BS, Business Administration, Michigan Technological University
- State of Michigan Teacher Certification in Secondary Education
Steve Patchin has roots in industry and education. His corporate experience involves operating high-volume retail operations including Best Buy. His educational experiences range from middle/high school educator in mathematics and social sciences, to creating and operating innovative Science Technology Engineering and Math-focused precollege outreach programs in a university setting. This includes co-creating and operating Mind Trekkers, a college student-driven traveling festival that inspires K-12 students to pursue STEM-focused careers.
As Director of Michigan Tech’s Career Services department, Steve with his team developed CareerFEST, a series that helps students explore professional options while focusing on every aspect of career development skills from resume building to job-offer negotiations. As part of this initiative Steve and his team organize, coordinate and host Industry Days, bringing companies together on Campus to provide students with hands-on activities that illustrate the range of careers available in their fields, as well as offering insights on the future directions of their industries.
The Career Services leader develops corporate-sponsored, learning-outcome based on-Campus events. He’s continually working to expand corporate and academic department student-centered experiences, including co-ops and internships, domestically and abroad. He leads his team in a broad-based, multi-faceted approach that provides students with a seamless collegiate-to-career experience using real-life models and interactive learning.
Links of Interest
- Steve has a passion for researching how teaching techniques need to change to adapt to how future generations learn most effectively. He enjoys traveling and meeting people, then writing about their unique stories. The avid boater knows his way around the grill and enjoys spending time with his family, including two black Labs, Zeus and Apollo.