- Dow 406 / Dow 416
Professor, Biological Sciences
- PhD, Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel, 2001
Dr. Tang conducted his graduate research on the catabolic pathway of the essential amino acid lysine in the laboratory of Dr. Gad Galili at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel. He then moved to the laboratory of Dr. Phillip D. Zamore at the University of Massachusetts Medical School for his post-doctoral research on plant RNA interference (RNAi) and microRNA (miRNA) pathways. He established his independent Gene Suppression Laboratory at the University of Kentucky (UK) and became a tenured Associate Professor there. In October 2011, he moved from UK to Michigan Technological University (MTU) at the Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (U. P.) for a family reunion and enjoyed the first winter time with much outdoor activities with his wife and kids. In May 2016, he became a full Professor at MTU.
- Gene Silencing
- RNA Interference (RNAi)
- MicroRNA (miRNA)
- Wheat Germ Extract
- Drosophila Embryo Lysate, Arabidopsis, and other Plant Systems
- MicroRNA Technologies: Small Tandem Target mimic (STTM) and MicroRNA Array
- Sachin Teotia, Deepali Singh, Xiaoqing Tang, Guiliang Tang (2016) Essential RNA-Based Technologies and Their Applications in Plant Functional Genomics. Trends in Biotechnology. 34(2):106-23. Read More
- Wu X, Ding D, Shi C, Xue Y, Zhang Z, Tang G, Tang J. (2016) microRNA-dependent gene regulatory networks in maize leaf senescence. BMC Plant Biol. 16:73. doi: 10.1186/s12870-016-0755-y. Read More
- Wang X, Chen L, Jin H, Wang S, Zhang Y, Tang X, Tang G (2016) Screening miRNAs for early diagnosis of colorectal cancer by small RNA deep sequencing and evaluation in a Chinese patient population. OncoTargets and Therapy. 9: 1159-1166. Read More
- Zhang Z, Wu X, Shi C, Wang R, Li S, Wang Z, Liu Z, Xue Y, Tang G, Tang J. (2016) Genetic dissection of the maize kernel development process via conditional QTL mapping for three developing kernel-related traits in an immortalized F2 population.Mol Genet Genomics. 291(1):437-54. Read More
- Chi M, Bhagwat B, Tang G, Xiang Y. (2016) Knockdown of Polyphenol Oxidase Gene Expression in Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with Artificial MicroRNAs. Methods Mol Biol. 1405:163-78. Read More
- Bhagwat B, Chi M, Han D, Tang H, Tang G, Xiang Y. (2016) Design, Construction, and Validation of Artificial MicroRNA Vectors Using Agrobacterium-Mediated Transient Expression System. Methods Mol Biol. 1405:149-62. Read More
- Sachin Teotia and Guiliang Tang (2015) To bloom or not to bloom: Role of microRNAs in plant flowering. Molecular Plant 8(3): 359-377 (Highly Cited) Read More
- Xiaoyun Jia, Na Ding, Weixin Fan, Jun Yan, Yiyou Gu, Xiaoqing Tang, Runzhi Li, Guiliang Tang (2015) Functional plasticity of miR165/166 in plant development revealed by small tandem target mimic. Plant Science, 233: 11-21. Read More
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology. Award Number:1340001; Principal Investigator:Guiliang Tang; Co-Principal Investigator:Xuemei Chen, Wenbo Ma, Harold Trick, Hairong Wei; Organization:Michigan Technological University;NSF Organization:IOS Award Date:06/01/2014; Award Amount:$2,499,979.00.
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology.
- EAGER: RNAi Gene Discovery Tool to Randomly Generate Dominant Mutant Pools in Plants