- Dow 406 / Dow 416
Associate Professor, Biological Sciences
- PhD, Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel, 2001
Dr. Tang conducted his graduate research on the catabolic pathway of the essential amino acid lysine in the laboratory of Dr. Gad Galili at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel. He then moved to the laboratory of Dr. Phillip D. Zamore at the University of Massachusetts Medical School for his post-doctoral research on plant RNA interference (RNAi) and microRNA (miRNA) pathways. He established his independent Gene Suppression Laboratory at the University of Kentucky (UK) and became a tenured Associate Professor there. In October 2011, he moved from UK to Michigan Technological University (MTU) at the Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (U. P.) for a family reunion and enjoyed the first winter time with much outdoor activities with his wife and kids.
- Gene Silencing
- RNA Interference (RNAi)
- MicroRNA (miRNA)
- Wheat Germ Extract
- Drosophila Embryo Lysate, Arabidopsis, and other Plant Systems
- MicroRNA Technologies: Small Tandem Target mimic (STTM) and MicroRNA Array
- Sachin Teotia and Guiliang Tang (2015) To bloom or not to bloom: Role of microRNAs in plant flowering. Molecular Plant (In Press) Read More
- Xiaoyun Jia, Na Ding, Weixin Fan, Jun Yan, Yiyou Gu, Xiaoqing Tang, Runzhi Li, Guiliang Tang (2015) Functional plasticity of miR165/166 in plant development revealed by small tandem target mimic. Plant Science, 233: 11-21. Read More
- Zhenying Cai, Jingjing Liu, Haijiao Wang, Cangjing Yang, Yuxiao Chen, Yongchi Li, Shanjin Pan, Rui Dong, Guiliang Tang, Juan de Dios Barajas-Lopez, Hiroaki Fujii, and Xuelu Wang (2014) GSK3-like kinases positively modulate abscisic acid signaling through phosphorylating subgroup III SnRK2s in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 111(26): 9651-6 Read More
- Peng T, Sun H, Qiao M, Zhao Y, Du Y, Zhang J, Li J, Tang G, Zhao Q. (2014) Differentially expressed microRNA cohorts in seed development may contribute to poor grain filling of inferior spikelets in rice. BMC Plant Biol. 2014 Jul 23;14(1):196. Read More
- James Wong, Lei Gao, Yang Yang, Jixian Zhai, Siwaret Arikit, Yu Yu, Shuyi Duan, Vicky Chan, Qin Xiong, Jun Yan, Shengben Li, Renyi Liu, Yuanchao Wang, Guiliang Tang, Blake C. Meyers, Xuemei Chen and Wenbo Ma (2014) Roles of Small RNAs in Soybean Defense against Phytophthora sojae Infection. Plant J. 2014 Jun 18. doi: 10.1111/tpj.12590. [Epub ahead of print] Read More
- Chi M, Bhagwat B, Lane WD, Tang G, Su Y, Sun R, Oomah BD, Wiersma PA, Xiang Y. (2014) Reduced polyphenol oxidase gene expression and enzymatic browning in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) with artificial microRNAs. BMC Plant Biol. 11;14(1):62. Read More
- Tang G and Tang X. (2013) Short Tandem Target Mimic: A Long Journey to the Engineered Molecular Landmine for Selective Destruction/Blockage of microRNAs in Plants and Animals. Journal of Genetics and Genomics. 40 (6): 291–296. Read More
- Bhagwata B, Chia M, Su L, Tang H, Tang G., Xiang Y. (2013) An in vivo Transient Expression System Can Be Applied for Rapid and Effective Selection of Artificial microRNA Constructs for Plant Stable Genetic Transformation. Journal of Genetics and Genomics. 40(5): 261-70. Read More
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology. Award Number:1340001; Principal Investigator:Guiliang Tang; Co-Principal Investigator:Xuemei Chen, Wenbo Ma, Harold Trick, Hairong Wei; Organization:Michigan Technological University;NSF Organization:IOS Award Date:06/01/2014; Award Amount:$2,499,979.00.
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology.
- EAGER: RNAi Gene Discovery Tool to Randomly Generate Dominant Mutant Pools in Plants