Our faculty in the Department of Biological Sciences are involved in cutting-edge research. They have authored and contributed to a number of publications—both in prior work and during their tenure at Michigan Tech. Select a faculty member below for some of their most recent publications.
Recent Faculty Publications
Nancy A. Auer
- Auer, M.T., L. A. Bub, N. A. Auer and N. R. Urban. 2009 In press. Primary production, carbon flux and the distribution of the amphipod Diporeia in Lake Superior. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology.
- Auer, N.A. 2009 In press. Importance of woody material in Great Lake aquatic food webs. International Association of Theoretical and Applied Limnology. Auer, N.A. Requested Book Critique. 2009. Anadromous sturgeons – What’s in a name? Environmental Biology of Fishes. 84:153-155.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2008. Transport and growth of larval cisco (Coregonus artedi) in the Keweenaw Current region of Lake Superior. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65: 1447-1458.
- Chiotti, J.A., Holtgren, J.M., Auer, N.A. and S.A. Ogren. 2008. Lake Sturgeon Spawning Habitat in the Big Manistee River, Michigan. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 28:1009-1019.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. 2007. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136(3):766-777.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. 2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 23:113-121.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N. A. Auer. Accepted 12/30/2006. Influence of Rearing Temperature and Feeding Regime on Otolith Increment Deposition in Larval Cisco. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society.
- Auer, N.A. and E.A. Baker. Proof pages returned 1/8/2007. Assessment of Lake Sturgeon Spawning Stocks Using Fixed-location, Split-beam Sonar Technology. Journal of Applied Ichthyology.
- Auer, N.A., B.A. Cannon and M.T. Auer. Accepted Manuscript # 4154. Life History and Distribution of Diporeia near the Keweenaw Peninsula, Lake Superior. Journal of Great Lakes Research.
- Oyadomari, J.K. and N.A. Auer. 2004. Inshore-Offshore distribution of larval fishes in Lake Superior off the western coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research. Vol. 30. Supplement 1, 369-384.
Susan T. Bagley
- Donofrio, R., R. Saha, and S. Bagley. 2012. Molecular cloning of B. diminuta for efficacy assessment of reverse osmosis devices. Journal of Water and Health. 102: 278-789.
- Saha, R, R. S. Donofrio, D.M. Goeres, and S. T. Bagley. 2012. Rapid Detection of rRNA group I pseudomonads in contaminated metalworking fluids and biofilm formation by fluorescent in situ hybridization. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 94(3):799-808.
- Li, Bowen, Jian-Yang Hwang, J. Drelich, D. Popko, and S. Bagley. 2010. Physical, Chemical and Antimicrobial Characterization of Copper-bearing Material. JOM 62: 80-85.
- Saha, R, R. Donofrio, and S. Bagley 2010. Development of a real-time TaqMan assay to detect mendocina sublineage Pseudomonas species in contaminated metalworking fluids. J Indust Microbiol. Biotechnol. 37: 843-848.
- Donofrio, R., L Besterveldt, R. Saha, and S. Bagley. 2010. Quantitative real time PCR and fluorescent in situ hybridization approaches for enumerating Brevundimonas diminuta in drinking water . J Indust Microbiol. Biotechnol. 37: 909-918.
- Donofrio, R., R. Saha, L Besterveldt, and S. Bagley. 2010. Selective enumeration strategies for Brevundimonas diminuta from drinking water. J Indust. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 37: 407-417.
- Saha, R , C. Spröer, B. Beck, and S. Bagley. 2010. Pseudomonas oleovorans subsp. lubricantis subsp. nov., and reclassification of Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes ATCC 17440T as later synonym of Pseudomonas oleovorans ATCC 8062T. Current Microbiology 60: 294-300.
- Xue, C., Velayudham, S. Johnson, S., Saha, R., Murthy, P., Bagley, S.T., and H. Liu. Highly water-soluble fluorescent conjugated fluorene-based glycopolymers with poly(ethylene glycol) tethered spacers for detection of Escherichia coli Chemistry – A European Journal 15: 2289-95.
- Makris KC, Quazi S, Nagar R, Sarkar D, Datta R and Sylvia VL (2008) In-vitro model improves prediction of soil arsenic bioavailability: worst-case scenario. Environ. Sci. Technol., 42: 6278-6284. Read More
- Makris KC, Salazar J, Quazi S, Andra S, Sarkar D, Bach SBH and Datta R (2008) Controlling the fate of roxarsone and inorganic arsenic in poultry litter. J Environ Qual. 37: 963-971. Read More
- Andra SS, Datta R, Sarkar D, Makris KC, Mullens CP, Sahi SV and Bach SBH (2009) Induction of Lead‐Binding Phytochelatins in Vetiver Grass [Vetiveria Zizanioides (L.)]. J. Environ. Qual. 38, 868‐877. Read More
- Punamiya P, Datta R, Sarkar D, Barber S, Patel M, Das P (2010) Symbiotic role of Glomus mosseae in phytoextraction of lead in vetiver grass [Chrysopogon zizanioides (L.)]. J. Hazard. Mater. 177: 465-474. Read More
- Das P, Datta R, Makris K, Sarkar, D. (2010) Vetiver grass is capable of removing TNT from soil in the presence of urea. Environ. Pollut. 158(5): 980-983. Read More
- Andra S, Sarkar D, Saminathan S, Datta R (2011) Predicting potentially plant-available lead in contaminated residential sites. Environ. Monitor. Assess. 175: 661-676. Read More
- Datta R, Das P, Smith S, Punamiya P, Ramanathan DM, Reddy R, Sarkar D (2012) Phytoremediation potential of vetiver grass [chrysopogon zizanioides (l.)] For tetracycline. Internatl. J. Phytorem. Epublication ahead of print: DOI: 10.1080/15226514.2012.702803 Read More
John J. Durocher
- Yang H, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Carter JR. Total Sleep Deprivation Alters Cardiovascular Reactivity to Acute Stressors in Humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, (In Press, JAPPL-00561-2012R1, July 19, 2012).
- Carter JR, Durocher JJ, Larson RA, DellaValla JP, and Yang H. Sympathetic Neural Responses to 24-hour Sleep Deprivation in Humans: Sex Differences. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 302: H1991-1997, 2012.
- Durocher JJ, Lufkin KJ, King ME and Carter JR. Social technology restriction alters state-anxiety but not autonomic activity in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 301(6): R1773-1778, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Klein JC and Carter JR. Attenuation of sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity during the onset of acute mental stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 300(5): H1788-93, 2011.
- Carter JR, Stream SF, Durocher JJ, and Larson RA. Influence of acute alcohol ingestion on sympathetic neural responses to orthostatic stress in humans. American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, 300: E771-E778, 2011.
- Schwartz CE, Durocher JJ, and Carter JR. Neurovascular responses to mental stress in prehypertensive humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, 110: 76-82, 2011.
- Durocher JJ, Guisfredi AJ, Leetun DT, and Carter JR. Comparison of on-ice and off-ice graded exercise testing in collegiate hockey players. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 35(1): 35-39, 2010.
Michael R. Gretz
- Domozych, D.S.,. Lambiasse, L., Kiemle, S.N.. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. Structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. II. Cell wall development and bipolar growth in the desmid Penium margaritaceum. Asymmetry in a symmetric world. Journal of Phycology (in press)
- BBellinger, B.J., Underwood, G.J.C., Ziegler, S.E. and Gretz, M.R. 2009. The significance of diatom-derived polymers in carbon flow dynamics within estuarine biofilms determined through isotopic enrichment. Aquatic Microbial Ecology (in press).
- Domozych, D.S., Serfis, A., Kiemle, S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The structure and biochemistry of charophycean cell walls. I. Pectins of Penium margaritaceum. Protoplasma 230:99-115.
- Kiemle, S.N., Domozych, D.S. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. The exopolymers of desmids: Chemistry, structural analysis and implications in wetland biofilms. Phycologia 46:617-627.
- Domozych, D.S., Elliot, L, Kiemle, S.N. and Gretz, M.R. 2007. Pleurotaenium trabecula, a desmid of wetland biofilms: The extracellular matrix and adhesion mechanisms. Journal of Phycology 43:1022-1038.
- Abdullahi, A.S., Underwood, G.J.C., and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Extracellular matrix assembly in diatoms (Bacillariophyceae). V. Environmental effects on polysaccharide synthesis in the model diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Journal of Phycology 42:363-378.
- Apoya, M.D., Liang, Y., Underwood, G.J.C. and Gretz, M.R. 2006. Movement modalities and responses to environmental changes of the mudflat diatom Cylindrotheca closterium. Journal of Phycology 42:379-390.
Erika I. Hersch-Green
- Bangert, R., Ferrier, S. M., Evans, L., Kennedy, K., Grady, K. C., Hersch-Green, E. I., Allan, G. J., and T. G. Whitham. In Press. The proportion of three foundation plant species and their genotypes influence an arthropod community: restoration implications for the endangered southwestern willow flycatcher. Restoration Ecology.
- Hersch-Green, E. I., H. Myburg, and M. T. Johnson. 2012. Adaptive molecular evolution of a defence gene in sexual but not functionally asexual evening primroses. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 25: 1576-1586.
- S.M. Ferrier, R.K. Bangert, E. I. Hersch-Green, J. K. Bailey, G.J. Allan, and T.G. Whitham. 2012. Unique arthropod communities on different host-plant genotypes results in greater arthropod diversity. Arthropod Plant Interactions 6: 187-195.
- Hersch-Green, E. I, N. Turley, and M. T. J. Johnson. 2011. Community genetics: what have we accomplished and where should we be headed? Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 366: 1453-1460.
- Hersch-Green, E.I., and R.C. Cronn. 2009. Tangled trios, or something entirely different? Characterizing a hybrid zone in Castilleja (Orobanchaceae). American Journal of Botany 96(8): 1519-1531.
- Hersch, E.I, and B. A. Roy. 2007. Context-dependant pollinator behavior: an explanation for patterns of hybridization among three species of Indian paintbrush. Evolution 61(1): 111- 124. Cover Photo.
- Hersch, E.I. 2006. Foliar damage to parental plants interacts to influence mating success of Ipomoea purpurea. Ecology 87(8): 2026-2036.
Casey J Huckins
- Scribner, K., Huckins, C. J., Baker, E., Kanefsky, J. 2012. Genetic relationships and gene flow between resident and migratory brook trout in the Salmon Trout River. Journal of Great Lakes Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2011.11.009. 38 (2012) 152–158
- Van Grinsven, M., Mayer, A. and Huckins, C. (2011), Estimation of Streambed Groundwater Fluxes Associated with Coaster Brook Trout Spawning Habitat. Ground Water. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2011.00856.x
- Harless, M. L., Huckins, C. J., Grant, J. B., Pypker, T. G. (2011). "Effects of six chemical deicers on larval wood frogs", Environmental Toxicity and Chemistry, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 30(7):1637–1641.
- Huckins, C. J, .E. A. Baker, K. D. Fausch and J. B. K. Leonard. 2008. Ecology and Life History of Coaster Brook Trout Salvelinus fontinalis and Potential Bottlenecks in Their Rehabilitation. North American Journal of Fish Management. 28:1321–1342.
- Huckins, C. J., and E. A. Baker. 2008. Migrations and Biological Characteristics of Adfluvial Coaster Brook Trout in a South Shore Lake Superior Tributary. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 137:1229-1243.
- Webster, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, J. M. Shields. 2008. Spatial Distribution of Riparian Zone Coarse Woody Debris in a Managed Northern Temperate Watershed. American Midland Naturalist. in press.
- VanDusen, P. J., C. J Huckins, D. J. Flaspohler. 2005. Associations among selection logging history, brook trout, macroinvertebrates and habitat in Northern Michigan headwater streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 134:762-774.
- Osenberg, C. W., C. J F. Huckins, A. Kaltenberg, and A. Martinez. 2004. Resolving within and between population variation in feeding ecology with a biomechanical model of crushing force. Oecologia. 141:57-65
- Flaspohler, D. J., C. J F. Huckins, B. R. Bub, and P. J. VanDusen. 2002. Temporal patterns in aquatic and avian communities following selective logging. Forest Science 48:339-350.
- Huckins, C. J F., C. W. Osenberg, and G. G. Mittelbach. 2000. Species introductions and ecological consequences: an example with congeneric sunfish. Ecological Applications 10:612:625.
Chandrashekhar P. Joshi
- Chandrashekhar P. Joshi*, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Takeshi Fujino, Jiqing Gou, Utku Avci, Candace H. Haigler, Lisa M. McDonnell, Shawn D. Mansfield, Bemnet Menghesa, Nicholas C. Carpita, Darby Harris, Seth DeBolt and Gary F. Peter (2011) Perturbation of wood cellulose synthesis causes pleiotropic effects in transgenic aspen. Molecular Plant. In Press.
- Zhu X, Pattahil S, Mazumdar K, Brehm A, Hahn MG. Dinesh-Kumar SP and C. P. Joshi (2010) Virus-induced gene silencing offers a functional genomics platform for studying plant cell wall formation. Molecular Plant 3 (5): 818-833.
- Fuyu Xu and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi (2010) Overexpression of Aspen Sucrose Synthase Gene Promotes Growth and Development of Transgenic Arabidopsis Plants. Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology 1: 426-438.
- Xu F and C. P. Joshi (2010). In vitro demonstration of interactions among the zinc-binding domains of cellulose synthases in Arabidopsis and aspen. Advances in Biosciences and Biotechnology 1 (3) 152-161.
- Manoj Kumar, Shivegowda Thammannagowda, Vincent Bulone, Vincent Chiang, Kyung-Hwan Han, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, Shawn D. Mansfield, Ewa Mellerowicz, Björn Sundberg, Tuula Teeri, and Brian E. Ellis. An update on the nomenclature for the cellulose synthases genes from Populus. Trends in Plant Science 14(5):248-254, 2009.
- (Invited presentation) C.P. Joshi: Genetic engineering of poplars for biofuel production via altered synthesis of cellulose. Presented at Tree Biotechnology meeting at Whistler, BC, Canada during June 28-July 2, 2009.
- Shanfa Lu, Laigeng Li, Xiaoping Yi, Chandrashekhar P. Joshi, and Vincent L. Chiang: Differential expression of three eucalyptus secondary cell wall- related cellulose synthase genes in response to tension stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 681-695, 2008.
- C. P. Joshi, Brunner A, Busov V, Meilan R, Thammanagowda S, Tsai C.: Poplars. In: Compendium of transgenic crop plants: Transgenic forest tree species. C. Kole and T. Hall (Eds). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. PP 1-34. 2008.
- C.P. Joshi and S.D. Mansfield: The cellulose paradox: simple molecule, complex biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 10: 220-226, 2007.
- C. P. Joshi: Genomics of Wood development. In Aluízio Borém (Ed) Forest Biotechnology. Universidade Vicosa, Brazil, PP 273-295. 2007 (in Portuguese).
- Reginaldo A. Festucci-Buselli, Wagner C. Otoni and Chandrashekhar P. Joshi: Structure, organization and functions of cellulose synthase complexes in higher plants. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 19(1) 1-17, 2007.
- W.C. Kerfoot, F. Yousef, S.A. Green, R. Regis, R. Shuchman, C.N. Brooks, M. Sayers, B. Sabol, and M. Graves. 2012. Light detection and ranging (LiDAR) and multispectral studies of disturbed Lake Superior coastal environments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 57(3), 749-771.
- W.C. Kerfoot, F. Yousef, M.M. Hobmeier, R.P. Maki, S.T. Jarnagin, and J.H. Churchill. 2011. Temperature, recreation fishing and diapause egg connections: dispersal of spiny water fleas (Bythotrephes longimanus). Biol. Invasions. 13:2513-2531 DOI 10.1007/s10530-011-0078-8
- Cooke, C.A., P.H. Balcom, W. Kerfoot, M.B. Abbott, A.P. Wolfe. 2011. Pre-Columbian Mercury Pollution with the Smelting of Argentiferous Ores in the Bolivian Andes. AMBIO 40: 18-25 DOI 10.1007/s13280-010-0086-4.
- W.C. Kerfoot, and A. S. McNaught. 2010. ‘Two-step’ dialogue between the cladoceran Bosmina and invertebrate predators: Induction and natural selection. Limnol. Oceanogr. 55(1) 403-419.
- Kerfoot, W.C., F. Yousef, S.A. Green, J.W. Budd, D.J. Schwab, and H.A. Vanderploeg. 2010. Approaching storm: Disappearing winter bloom in Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 36:30-41.
- Berendonk, T.U., K. Spitze, Kerfoot, W. C. 2009. Ephemeral metapopulations show high genetic diversity at regional scales. Ecology. 90(10):2670-2675.
- Kerfoot W. C., J.W. Budd, J.H. Churchill and C. Chen. 2009. Metacommunity perspective on zooplanktonic communities in Lake Superior. In M. Munawar, I. F. Munawar (Eds.), State of Lake Superior, Ecovision World Monograph Series, Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management Society, Burlington, Canada.
- Kerfoot, W. C., J. Jeong, and J.A. Robbins. 2009. Lake Superior mining and the proposed mercury zero-discharge region for Lake Superior 2008. In M. Munawar, I. F. Munawar (Eds.), State of Lake Superior, Ecovision World Monograph Series, Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management Society, Burlington, Canada.
- W.C. Kerfoot, J.W. Budd, S.A. Green, J.B. Cotner, B.A. Biddanda, D.J. Schwab and H.A. Vanderploeg 2008. Doughnut in the desert: late-winter production pulse in southern Lake Michigan. Limnol. Oceanogr 53:589-604.
- Churchill, J.H. and Kerfoot, W. C., 2007. The impact of surface heat flux and wind on thermal stratification in Portage Lake, Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 33(1):143-155.
Amy M. Marcarelli
- Bechtold HA, Marcarelli AM, Baxter CV & Inouye RS. 2012. Effects of N, P andorganic carbon on stream biofilm nutrient limitation and uptake in a semi-arid watershed. Limnology and Oceanography 57:1544-1554. Read More
- Mineau MM, Baxter CV, Marcarelli AM & Minshall GW. 2012. An invasive riparian tree reduces stream ecosystem efficiency via a recalcitrant organic matter subsidy. Ecology 93:1501-1508 Read More
- Scott JT & Marcarelli AM. 2012. Cyanobacteria in freshwater benthic environments. Pp 271-289 in: Whitton BA (ed) Ecology of Cyanobacteria II: Their Diversity in Time and Space. Springer. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Baxter CV, Mineau MM & Hall RO. 2011. Quantity and quality: unifying food web and ecosystem perspectives on the role of resource subsidies in freshwaters. Ecology 92: 1215-1225. Read More
- Hopkins JM, Marcarelli AM & Bechtold HA. 2011. Ecosystem structure and function are complementary measures of water quality in a polluted, spring-influenced river. Water Air and Soil Pollution 214: 409-421. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Van Kirk RW & Baxter CV. 2010. Predicting effects of hydrologic alteration and climate change on ecosystem metabolism in a western U.S. river. Ecological Applications 20: 2081-2088. Read More
Mi Hye Song
- Song MH, Liu Y, Anderson DE, Jahng WJ., and O’Connell KF (2011) Protein Phosphatase 2A-SUR-6/B55 Regulates Centriole Duplication by Controlling the Levels of Centriole Assembly Factors ZYG-1 and SAS-5 in C.elegans. Developmental Cell 20(4):563-571. Supplemental Information | Read More
- Peters N, Perez D, Song MH, Liu Y, Müller-Reichert T,Caron C, Kemphues K, and O'Connell KF (2010) Control of Mitotic and Meiotic Centriole Duplication by the Plk4-Related Kinase ZYG-1. Journal of Cell Science 123:795-805. Read More
- Song MH*, Aravind L, Müller-Reichert T, and O'Connell KF (2008) The Conserved Protein SZY-20 Opposes the Plk4-Related Kinase ZYG-1 to Limit Centrosome Size. Developmental Cell 15(6):901-912. *Co-Corresponding Author Read More
- Song MH, Miliaras NB, Peel N, and O’Connell KF (2008) Centrioles: Some Self-Assembly Required. Current Opinions in Cell Biology 20(6):688-693. Read More
- Kemp C*, Song MH*, Addepalli MK, Hunter G and O’Connell K (2007) Suppressors of zyg-1 define regulators of centrosome duplication and nuclear association in C. elegans. Genetics 176(1):95-113 (Selected for Issue Highlights). *Co-First Author Read More
- Rivera AS, Gonsalves FC, Song MH, Norris BJ and Weisblat DA (2005) Characterization of Notch-class gene expression in segmentation stem cells and segment founder cells in Helobdella robusta (Lophotrochozoa; Annelida; Clitellata; Hirudinida; Glossiphoniidae). Evolution & Development 7(6):588-599. Read More
- Song MH, Brown NL and Kuwada JY (2004) The cfy mutation disrupts cell divisions in a stage-dependent manner in zebrafish embryos. Developmental Biology 276(1):194-206. Read More
- Song MH, Huang F, Gonsalves FC and Weisblat DA (2004) Cell cycle-dependent expression of a hairy and Enhancer of split (hes) homolog during cleavage and segmentation in the leech embryos. Developmental Biology 269(1):183-195. Read More
- Song MH, Huang F, Chang G and Weisblat DA (2002) Expression and function of an even-skipped homolog in the leech Helobdella robusta. Development 129(15): 3681-3692. Read More
- Hagen TM, Ingersoll RT, Wehr CM, Lykkesfeldt J, Vinarsky V, Bartholomew JC, Song MH, and Ames BN (1998) Acetyl-L-carnitine fed to old rats partially restores mitochondrial function and ambulatory activity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 95(16):9562-6. Read More
- Tang G*, Yan J, Gu Y, Qiao M, Fan R, Mao Y, Tang X*. (2012) Construction of short tandem target mimic (STTM) to block the functions of plant and animal microRNAs. Methods 58(2):118-25.(*Corresponding authors) Read More
- Yan J, Gu Y, Jia X, Kang W, Pan S, Tang X, Chen X, Tang G. (2012) Effective small RNA destruction by the expression of a short tandem target mimic in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 24(2):415-27. Read More
- Lewis RW, Tang G, McNear DH Jr. (2012) Morphological and genetic changes induced by excess Zn in roots of Medicago truncatula A17 and a Zn accumulating mutant.BMC Res Notes. 5(1):657 Read More
- Ren L. and Tang G. (2012) Identification of sucrose-responsive microRNAs reveals sucrose-regulated copper accumulations in an SPL7-dependent and independent manner in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Science, 187: 59-68 Read More
- Iyer NJ, Jia X, Sunkar R, Tang G, Mahalingam R. (2012) microRNAs responsive to ozone-induced oxidative stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Signal Behav 7(4):484 - 491. Read More
- Dianwei Han, Jun Zhang, and Guiliang Tang (2012) MicroRNAfold: pre-microRNA secondary structure prediction based on Modified NCM model with thermodynamics-based scoring strategy. International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics 6(3):272-91 Read More
- Lijuan Ji, Xigang Liu, Jun Yan, Wenming Wang, Rae Eden Yumul, Yu Ju Kim, Thanh Theresa Dinh, Jun Liu, Xia Cui, Binglian Zheng, Manu Agarwal, Chunyan Liu, Xiaofeng Cao, Guiliang Tang, and Xuemei Chen* (2011) ARGONAUTE10 and ARGONAUTE1 Regulate the Termination of Floral Stem Cells through Two microRNAs in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genet. 7(3):e1001358. Epub 2011 Mar 31. Read More
- Tang X, Tang X, Gal J, Kyprianou N, Zhu H, Tang G. (2011) Detection of microRNAs in prostate cancer cells by microRNA array. Methods Mol Biol. 732:69-88. Read More
- Xiaoyun Jia, Jun Yan, and Guiliang Tang (2011) MicroRNA-mediated DNA methylation in plants. Frontiers in Biology 6(2):133-139 Read More
- Dianwei Han, Guiliang Tang, and Jun Zhang (2011) A Parallel Strategy for Predicting the Secondary Structure of Polycistronic MicroRNAs. Int. J.Bioinformatics Research and Applications (In press)
- Guiliang Tang (2010) Plant microRNAs: An insight into their gene structures and evolution. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 21:782-789. Read More
- Wang WX, Wilfred BR, Madathil SK, Tang G, Hu Y, Dimayuga J, Stromberg AJ, Huang Q, Saatman KE, Nelson PT (2010) MiR-107 Regulates Granulin/Progranulin with Implications for Traumatic Brain Injury and Neurodegenerative Disease. Am J Pathol. 177(1):334-45 Read More
- Tang G*, Yan J, Gu Y, Qiao M, Fan R, Mao Y, Tang X*. (2012) Construction of short tandem target mimic (STTM) to block the functions of plant and animal microRNAs. Methods (in press, *Corresponding authors) Read More
- Zhao X, Mohan R, Ozcan S, Tang X. (2012) MicroRNA-30d Induces Insulin Transcription Factor MafA and Insulin Production by Targeting Mitogen-activated Protein 4 Kinase 4 (MAP4K4) in Pancreatic β-Cells. J Biol Chem. 287(37):31155-64. Read More
- Tang X, Tang X, Gal J, Kyprianou N, Zhu H, Tang G. (2011) Detection of microRNAs in prostate cancer cells by microRNA array. Methods Mol Biol. 732:69-88. Read More
- Tang, X., Muniappan, L., Tang, G., and Ozcan, S. (2009) Identification of glucose-regulated miRNAs from pancreatic beta cells reveals a role for miR-30d in insulin transcription. RNA 15:287-293.
- Tang, X.*, Tang, G., and Özcan S*. (2008) Role of microRNAs in diabetes. BBA-Gene Regulatory Mechanisms. 1779: 697-701 (* Corresponding authors).
- Tang, G., Tang, X., Mendu, V., Tang, XH., and Jia, X. (2008) The art of microRNA: Various strategies leading to gene silencing via an ancient pathway. BBA-Gene Regulatory Mechanisms. 1779: 655-662.
- Tang, G., Xiang, Y., Kang, Z., Mendu, V., Tang, X., Jia, X., and Tang, X. (2008) Small RNA technologies: siRNA, miRNA, antagomiR, target mimicry, miRNA sponge and miRNA profiling. Current Perspectives in MicroRNAs (miRNA), Springer Netherlands, pp 17-33.
- Tang, X., Gal J., Zhang X., Zhu H. and Tang G. (2007) A simple array platform for microRNA analysis and its application in mouse tissues. RNA 13,1803-22.
- Tang, X., Guilherme A, Chakladar A, Powelka AM, Konda S, Virbasius JV, Nicoloro SM, Straubhaar J, Czech MP. (2006) An RNA interference-based screen identifies MAP4K4/NIK as a negative regulator of PPARgamma, adipogenesis, and insulin-responsive hexose transport. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 103, 2087-2092.
- Powelka, A.M., Seth, A., Virbasius, J.V., Kiskinis, E., Nicoloro, S.M., Guilherme, A., Tang, X., Straubhaar, J., Cherniack, A.D., Parker, M.G., Czech, M.P. (2006) Suppression of oxidative metabolism and mitochondrial biogenesis by the transcriptional corepressor RIP140 in mouse adipocytes. J Clin Invest. 116,125-136.
- Tang, X., Powelka, A.M., Soriano, N.A., Czech, M.P. and Guilherme A. (2005) PTEN, but not SHIP2, suppresses insulin signaling through the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 280,22523-22529.
- Zhou, Q.L., Park, J.G., Jiang, Z.Y., Holik, J.J., Mitra, P., Semiz, S., Guilherme, A., Powelka, A.M., Tang, X., Virbasius, J., Czech, M.P. (2004) Analysis of insulin signalling by RNAi-based gene silencing. Biochem Soc Trans. 32(Pt 5), 817-821.
- Werner T. (2012) Leopard spots and zebra stripes on fruit fly wings. Nature Education/Bedford Freeman Worth
- Werner T., Koshikawa S., Williams T.M., Carroll S.B. (2010) Generation of a novel wing color pattern by the Wingless morphogen. Nature, Vol. 464, pp. 1143-1148.
- Rebeiz M., Ramos-Womack M., Jeong S., Andolfatto P., Werner T., True J., Stern D.L., Carroll S.B. (2009) Evolution of the tan Locus Contributed to Pigment Loss in Drosophila santomea: A Response to Matute et al. Cell, Vol. 139, pp. 1189-1196.
- Williams T.M. , Selegue J.E., Werner T., Gompel N., Kopp A., and Carroll S. B. (2008) The Regulation and Evolution of a Genetic Switch Controlling Sexually Dimorphic Traits in Drosophila. Cell, Vol. 134, pp. 610–623.
- Jeong S., Rebeiz M., Andolfatto P., Werner T., True J., Carroll S.B. (2008) The Evolution of Gene Regulation Underlies a Morphological Difference between Two Drosophila Sister Species. Cell, Vol. 132, pp. 783-93.
- Werner T., Borge-Renberg K., Mellroth P., Steiner H. and Hultmark D. (2003) Functional diversity of the Drosophila PGRP-LC gene cluster in the response to LPS and peptidoglycan. J Biol Chem, Vol. 278, Issue 29, pp. 26319-22.
- Choe K.M., Werner T., Stoven S., Hultmark D, Anderson K.V. (2002). Requirement for a Peptidoglycan Recognition Protein (PGRP) in Relish Activation and Antibacterial Immune Responses in Drosophila. Science, Vol. 296, Issue 5566, pp. 359-62.
- Werner, T., Liu, G., Kang, D., Ekengren, S., Steiner, H. and Hultmark, D. (2000). A family of peptidoglycan recognition proteins in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol. 97, Issue 25, pp. 13772-7.
- Rafi S, Ramakrishna W. (2012) Bioinformatic analysis of epigenetic and microRNA mediated regulation of drought responsive genes in rice. PloS ONE 7:e49331. Read More
- Li K, Pidatala RR, Ramakrishna W (2012) Mutational, proteomic and metabolomic analysis of a plant growth promoting copper-resistant Pseudomonas spp. FEMS Microbiol Lett 335: 140–148. Read More
- Deshpande AD, Dhadi SR, Hager E, Ramakrishna W. (2012) Rice callus suspension cultures inhibit growth of two cancer cell lines. Phytotherapy Research 26: 1075–1081 Read More
- Krom N, Ramakrishna, W. (2012) Retrotransposon insertions in rice gene pairs associated with reduced conservation of gene pairs in grass genomes. Genomics 99:308-314.
- Dhadi SR, Deshpande A, Ramakrishna W. (2012) A novel non-wounding transient expression assay for cereals mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 30:36-45.
- Li K, Ramakrishna W. (2011) Effect of multiple metal resistant bacteria from contaminated lake sediments on metal accumulation and plant growth. J. Hazardous Materials 189:531-539.
- Xu Z, Rafi S, Ramakrishna W. (2011) Polymorphisms and evolutionary history of retrotransposon insertions in rice promoters. Genome 54:629-638.
- Krom N, Ramakrishna W. (2010) Conservation, rearrangement, and deletion of gene pairs during the evolution of four grass genomes. DNA Research 17:343-352.
- Dhadi SR, Krom N, Ramakrishna W. (2009) Genome-wide comparative analysis of putative bidirectional promoters from rice, Arabidopsis and Populus. Gene 429:65-73.
- Krom N, Ramakrishna, W. (2008) Comparative analysis of divergent and convergent gene pairs and their expression patterns in rice, Arabidopsis, and Populus. Plant Physiology 147:1763-1773.
- Krom N, Recla J, Ramakrishna W. (2008) Analysis of genes associated with retrotransposons in the rice genome. Genetica 134:297-310.
- Xu Z, Ramakrishna W. (2008) Retrotransposon insertion polymorphisms in six rice genes and their evolutionary history. Gene 412:50-58.
- Yan L, Loukoianov A, Blechl A, Tranquilli G, Ramakrishna W, SanMiguel P, Bennetzen JL, Echenique V, Dubcovsky J. (2004) The wheat VRN2 gene is a flowering repressor down-regulated by vernalization. Science 303:1640-1644.
- Ramakrishna W, Deng Z, Ding CK, Handa AK, Ozminkowski RH Jr. (2003) A novel small heat shock protein gene, vis1, contributes to pectin depolymerization and juice viscosity in tomato fruit. Plant Physiology 131: 725-735.
- Bennetzen JL, Ramakrishna W. (2002) Numerous small rearrangements of gene content, order and orientation differentiate grass genomes. Plant Molecular Biology 48:821-827.
- Ramakrishna W, Dubcovsky J, Park Y-J, Busso C, Emberton J, SanMiguel P, Bennetzen JL. (2002) Different types and rates of genome evolution detected by comparative sequence analysis of orthologous segments from four cereal genomes. Genetics 162:1389-1400.
- Ramakrishna W, Emberton J, Ogden M, SanMiguel P, Bennetzen JL. (2002) Structural analysis of the maize Rp1 complex uncovers numerous sites and unexpected mechanisms of local rearrangement. Plant Cell 14:3213-3223.