Meeting 581 Minutes
The University Senate
of Michigan Technological University
Minutes of Meeting 581
21 September 2016
PDF version of Minutes 581
Senate minutes are time-indexed [in square brackets] to the relevant segments of the streaming video of the meeting.
- Ann Kitalong-Will presented on the Campus Civility and Inclusivity Working Statement.
- President’s Report mentioned future presenters, request for items for the Board presentation, Senate officers’ meeting with the USG and GSG, and the upcoming Senate Self-Evaluation, and Board issues regarding teaching.
- Committee reports by the Research Policy and Elections Committees were heard.
1. Call to Order.
President Marty Thompson called the University Senate Meeting 581 to order at 5:30 PM on Wednesday September 21, 2016.
2. Roll Call of Senators and Recognition of Visitors [0:00-2:48]
The Senate Secretary Brian Barkdoll called roll. Absent were senators King, Hungwe, Hamlin, Hristova, Sutter, Tewari, Nemiroff, Hong, Azizi, Christianson, Schmierer, and Velat, Guter, and Nakkula, with no representatives from Army/Air Force ROTC, Cognitive and Learning Sciences, Engineering Fundamentals, Humanities, Materials Science and Engineering, ME-EM, Physics, School of Business, School of Technology, Visual and Performing Arts, Academic Services B, Administration, or Staff Council. Visitors were: Theresa Coleman-Kaiser (Administration), Ann Kitalong-Will (Administration), Lori Weir, (Administration), Jackie Huntoon (Provost), Heidi Reed (Human Resources), Josh Marshall, and Garfield Warren.
3. Approval of Agenda [2:48-3:13]
No discussion. Agenda passed on a voice vote.
4. Approval of Minutes from Meeting 580 [3:13-3:40]
No discussion. The minutes from meeting 580 passed on voice votes.
5. Presentations [3:40-24:25]
Campus Civility and Inclusivity Working Statement presented by Ann Kitalong-Will, Steering Committee Chair. Draft copy was presented and read through. The history and other universities’ policies were given. Emphasized that this is an overarching statement instead of a policy. The following was highlighted: working steering committee composition and goals, training, research, administrative policies status, reaching out to other groups on campus for diversity of opinion, and the desire for Senate involvement in the form of one faculty and one staff Senator to be identified by October 31, 2016.
6. President's Report [24:18-28:45]
VP Horsch asked to come present regarding maternity leave group. President Thompson asked for and received Senate support by an informal hand vote. Items for the upcoming presentation to the Board were also requested. A meeting of the Senate officers and the USG and GSG was reported. Items for a summary of the Senate’s work was requested for the upcoming Senate self-evaluation. Mike Meyers presentation at the next meeting regarding testing systems, resources for blended and online teaching, and an increase in active and interactive learning was mentioned.
7. Committee Reports [28:45-31:48]
The Research Policy Committee Chair mentioned studying the monopoly by publishers on journals and textbooks, along with the library staff. The Elections Committee Chair solicited nominations for all open positions.
8. Unfinished Business [31:48-31:49]
9. New Business 31:49-32:06]
10. Public Comments [32:06-32:13]
11. Adjournment [32:13-32:15]
President Thompson adjourned the meeting at 6:01 PM.
Respectfully submitted by
Secretary of the University Senate