Charles D. Van Karsen
- MEEM 915A
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- MSME, University of Cincinnati
Professor Van Karsen has been a member of the Michigan Tech Department of Mechanical Engineering - Engineering Mechanics since August 1987. Prior to that he had a twelve year career as a practicing engineer in the Machine Tool, Automotive, and Software industries.
He specializes in Experimental Vibro-Acoustics, NVH, and Structural Dynamics. His research efforts have concentrated on experimental noise and vibration methods related to automotive systems and subsystems, large home appliances, machine tools, and off-highway equipment.
Chuck regularly presents seminars and short courses on Experimental Modal Analysis, Digital Signal Processing, Acoustic Measurements and Sound Quality, and Source-Path-Receiver methods. At Michigan Tech, Chuck teaches Mechanical Vibrations, Experimental Vibro-Acoustics, Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis, Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, and Controls.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Modal Analysis
- Experimental Vibro-Acoustics
- NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness)
- Structural Dynamics
- Miskioglu, Ibrahim, Van Karsen, Charles D., Wright-Charlesworth, D.D., King, J.A., 2007, "Nano-Scratch Testing of Short Carbon Fiber Composites to Assess Fiber Adhesion," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 103, No. 1, pp. 328-335.
- Blough, Jason, Van Karsen, Charles D., Mattson, S., Schiefer, M., 2000, "Design and Performance of a Gas Actuated Impact Hammer," 18th International Modal Analysis Conference, San Antonio, February 2000, pp. 1466-1469.
- Van Karsen, Charles D., Evensen, Harold A., Soine, D.E., 1999, "Threshold Level as an Index of Squeak and Rattle Performance," 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, May 1999, pp. 599-604.
- Van Karsen, Charles D., Kurmaniak, C.V., Kelley, W.R., "Application of Indirect Force Estimation Techniques to the Automotive Transfer Case," 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, May 1999, pp. 861-870.
- Blough, Jason, Van Karsen, Charles D., Evensen, Harold A., Dexter, M., 1999, "Extraction/Filtration of Transients Embedded in Stationary Signals Using Wavelets: Focus on Extraction of Frequency Response Functions," 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, May 1999, pp. 1335-1344.
- Van Karsen, C.D., Gwaltney, G.D., Blough, J.R., 1999, “Appling Transfer Path Analysis to Large Home Appliances,” Proceedings: 17th International Modal Analysis Conference, Kissimmee FL, February 1999.
- Van Karsen, C.D., Maisonville, K.D., 1998, “Experimental Technique for Transverse Chain Vibration Measurements,” Proceedings of the 21st International Seminar on Modal Analysis, Leuven Belgium, September 1998.
- Blough, J.R., Brown, D.L., Van Karsen, C.D., 1998, “Independent Operating Shape Determination on Rotating Machinery, Based on Order Tracked Measurements," Proceedings: 16th International Modal Analysis Conference, Santa Barbara, CA, February 1998, Society for Experimental Mechanics, pp. 1516-1525.