Gordon G. Parker
- MEEM 803
John & Cathi Drake Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Agile & Interconnected Microgrids Center Co-Director
- PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo
Dr. Parker specializes in control system design and correlation of nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data. A key area of his research is the optimal control of microgrids with particular attention given to networked topologies. Closed loop control and real-time optimization for harmonizing use of available energy generation and storage assets, while satisfying loads, is the main theme. Applications requiring temporary or remote power motivate much of his funded research along with disaster relief scenarios. Development of a scalable, optimal control solution is critical for allowing the interconnection, in both power and communication, of separately deployed microgrids. The main challenge stems from a microgrid’s ever-changing energy asset and load portfolio and their effect on the system models used for optimal planning and control system design. Rational segregation of distributed versus centralized optimization and control is another research area. In the past year Dr. Parker and his colleagues formed the Agile and Interconnected Micrgorid (AIM) Center to bring together faculty from Computer Science, Mathematics, Cognitive Sciences and Learning, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Mechanical Engineering to focus an interdisciplinary team on this technical area. More generally, nonlinear control, system simulation, nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization, are present in most of Dr. Parker’s ongoing projects. Examples include active control of diesel engine aftertreatment systems and at-sea control of naval equipment.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Nonlinear Controls
- Control system design
- Methods for correlating nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data
- Nonlinear control
- System simulation
- Nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization
- Gordon Parker, Denise Kramer, "Current State of Military Hybrid Vehicle Development," International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 369-387, 2011-08-00
- Gordon Parker, Z. Shi, J. Granstrom, "Kinematic Analysis of a Swash-Plate Controlled Variable Displacement Axial-Piston Pump With a Conical Barrel Assembly," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control, Vol. 132, Issue 1, 011002, 8 pages, 2010-01-00
- Gordon Parker, John H. Johnson, M. Devarakonda, V. Strots, "Model-Based Control System Design in a Urea-SCR Aftertreatment System Based on NH3 Sensor Feedback ," International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 10, Issue 6, pp. 653-662, 2009-12-00
- Gordon Parker, Song-Lin (Jason) Yang, John H. Johnson, Singh, N., "Vehicle Engine Aftertreatment System Simulation (VEASS) Model: Application to a Controls Design Strategy for Active Regeneration of a Catalyzed Particulate Filter," SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0970, 2009-04-30
- Gordon Parker, John H. Johnson, Devarakonda, M., Strots, V., and Santhanam, S., "Model-Based Estimation and Control System Development in a Urea-SCR Aftertreatment System," SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 646-661, 2009-04-00
- Gordon Parker, Bleck, J.C., Epp, D.S., Sumali, H., "A Simple Learning Control to Eliminate RF-MEMS Switch Bounce," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 458-465, 2009-04-00
- Schaub, H., Parker, G. G., and King, L. B., 2004, “Challenges and Prospects of Coulomb Spacecraft Formation Flying,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 1-2, pp. 169-193.
- Kladopoulou, E. A., Yang, S. L., Johnson, J. H., Parker, G. G. and Konstandopoulos, A. G., 2003, “A Study Describing the Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters During Loading and Regeneration—A Lumped Parameter Model for Control Applications,” SAE Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Vol. 112, pp. 647-668.
- Dhaliwal, A., Parker, G.G. and Blough, J. R., 2004, “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 168-188.
- Chen, W., Buehler, M., Parker, G. G., and Bettig, B., 2004, “Optimal Sensor Design and Control of Piezoelectric Laminate Beams,” IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 148-155.