Jeffrey D. Naber
- MEEM 1012
Ron & Elaine Starr Professor in Energy Systems, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Director, Advanced Power Systems Research Center
Pi Tau Sigma Faculty Advisor
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dr. Naber joined MTU in August of 2004. Prior to joining MTU, he worked in the automotive industry on R&D of engine-management-systems for gasoline and diesel engines. He also worked at Sandia National Laboratories, CRF investigating sprays and combustion processes of diesel, natural gas, and hydrogen engines utilizing laser based diagnostics. He and fellow colleagues direct the Advanced Internal Combustion Laboratories (AICE) at the University. His research interests are in IC engines and after-treatment and the development and application of advanced experimental techniques, signal processing technologies, theoretical models, and embedded control to characterize the thermo-physical processes.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Hydrogen and Biofuels
- Combustion processes and combustion control of hydrogen and hydrogen dual fuelled engines
- Biofuels including ethanol with production from forest products and application in advanced combustion engines
- Gasoline IC engine research and the development of physical based correlations and models
- Development of combustion measurement techniques for diesel, gasoline, and HCCI and PPCI engines
- Jia, Libin, Blough, Jason R., Naber, Jeffrey D., Zekavat, Seyed A., 2014, "Accelerometer-Based Combustion Metrics Reconstruction With Radial Basis Function Neural Network for a 9 L Diesel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 13(3), March 1, 2014, Article No. 031507, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025886.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Ge, Hai-Wen, Naber, Jeffrey D., Lee, Seong-Young, Kurtz, Eric, and Nan R., 2013, "Investigation of Key Mechanism for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays using Experimental Results and CFD Modeling," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212.
- Meijer, Maarten, Somers, L.M.T., Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., Lee, Seong-Young, Malbec, L.M., Bruneaux, Gilles, Pickett, Lyle, Bardi, M., Payri, Raul, and Bazyn, Tim, 2012, "Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 777-806.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., and Lee, Seong-Young, 2012, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Worm, Jeremy J., Miers, Scott A., and Naber, Jeffrey D., 2011, "Biofuel Use from Bioenergy Crops: Internal Combustion Engines in Transportation," Handbook of Bioenergy Crop Plants, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, ISBN 9781439816844.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Worm, Jeremy, Yeliana, Yeliana, Cooney, Christopher, Michalek, Donna J., 2011, "Estimation of Double-Wiebe Function Parameters using Least Square Method for Burn Durations of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends in Spark Ignition Engine over Variable Compression Ratios and EGR Levels," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 14-15, pp. 2213-2220.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Nesbitt, Jaclyn E., Johnson, Samuel E., Pickett, Lyle M., Siebers, Dennis L., 2011, "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, Vol. 25 (3), pp. 926-936.
- Jeffrey Naber, Scott Miers, Benjamin W. Moscherosch, Christopher J. Polonowski, "Combustion and Emissions Characterization of Soy Methyl Ester Biodiesel Blends in an Automotive Turbocharged Diesel Engine," ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 132, Issue 9, 2010-09-00