Jeffrey D. Naber
- MEEM 1012
Ron & Elaine Starr Professor in Energy Systems, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Director, Advanced Power Systems Research Center
Pi Tau Sigma Faculty Advisor
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dr. Naber joined MTU in August of 2004. Prior to joining MTU, he worked in the automotive industry on R&D of engine-management-systems for gasoline and diesel engines. He also worked at Sandia National Laboratories, CRF investigating sprays and combustion processes of diesel, natural gas, and hydrogen engines utilizing laser based diagnostics. He and fellow colleagues direct the Advanced Internal Combustion Laboratories (AICE) at the University. His research interests are in IC engines and after-treatment and the development and application of advanced experimental techniques, signal processing technologies, theoretical models, and embedded control to characterize the thermo-physical processes.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Hydrogen and Biofuels
- Combustion processes and combustion control of hydrogen and hydrogen dual fuelled engines
- Biofuels including ethanol with production from forest products and application in advanced combustion engines
- Gasoline IC engine research and the development of physical based correlations and models
- Development of combustion measurement techniques for diesel, gasoline, and HCCI and PPCI engines
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn Johnson, Hai-Wen Ge, Eric Kurtz, R. Nan, "Investigation of Key Mechanism for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays using Experimental Results and CFD Modeling," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212, 2013-04-08
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Maarten Meijer, L.M.T. Somers, Jaclyn Johnson, L.M. Malbec, Gilles Bruneaux, Lyle Pickett, M. Bardi, Raul Payri, Tim Bazyn, "Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 777-806, 2012-00-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Jeremy Worm, Yeliana Yeliana, Christopher Cooney, Donna J. Michalek, "Estimation of Double-Wiebe Function Parameters using Least Square Method for Burn Durations of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends in Spark Ignition Engine over Variable Compression Ratios and EGR Levels," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 14-15, pp. 2213-2220, 2011-10-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn E. Nesbitt, Samuel E. Johnson, Lyle M. Pickett, Dennis L. Siebers, , "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, 2011, 25 (3), pp 926-936, 2011-02-25
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn Johnson, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages, 2011-00-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Scott Miers, Benjamin W. Moscherosch, Christopher J. Polonowski, "Combustion and Emissions Characterization of Soy Methyl Ester Biodiesel Blends in an Automotive Turbocharged Diesel Engine," ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 132, Issue 9, 2010-09-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Abhijit, "Ionization Signal Response during Combustion Knock and Comparison to Cylinder Pressure for SI Engines," SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars- Electronic and Electrical Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 349-364, 2009-04-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V. K, Moscherosch, B. W., Polonowski, C. J., " Application and comparison of soy based biodiesel fuel to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel in a HPCR diesel engine - Part II: combustion and emissions," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Volume 15, Issue 4, Pages 311-320, 2008-12-31
- Jeffrey Naber, Yeliana, Worm, J., "Property Determination for Ethanol-Gasoline Blends with Application to Mass Fraction Burn Analysis in a Spark Ignition Engine," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 553-561, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Yeliana, Cooney, C., and Worm, J., "Wiebe Function Parameter Determination for Mass Fraction Burn Calculation in an Ethanol-Gasoline Fuelled SI Engine," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 567-574, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V.K., Moscherosch, B.W., and Polonowski, C.J., "Application and Comparison of Soy Based Biodiesel Fuel to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a HPCR Diesel Engine - Part I: Engine Performance Parameters," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 327-334, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V.K., Moscherosch, B.W., and Polonowski, C.J., "Application and Comparison of Soy Based Biodiesel Fuel to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a HPCR Diesel Engine - Part II: Combustion and Emissions," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 311-320, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Szwaja, S., "Impact of Leaning Hydrogen-Air Mixtures on Engine Combustion Knock," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 483-491, 2008-00-00
- Liu, L.Y., Yang, H., Plee, S., Naber, J.D., “Windowed Selected Moving Autocorrelation (WSMA) Tri-Correlation (TriC), and Misfire Detection,” SAE Paper 05P-5762, 2005.
- Naber, J.D., and Siebers,D.L., “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Paper 960034.
- Naber, J.D., and Siebers, D.L., “Autoignition of Hydrogen Under Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition Engine Conditions,” CSS/WSS/MNS of the Comb. Inst. 95S093, 1995.
- Naber, J.D., Siebers, D.L., Di Julio, S.S., and Westbrook, C.K., “Effects of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Diesel Conditions,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 99, pp. 192-200, 1994.