- MEEM 917
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Energy Thermo-Fluids (ETF) Area Director
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Lee is an experimentalist interested in studying turbulent and spray combustion, including high-pressure diesel and gasoline spray and fundamental turbulent flames. Dr. Lee’s research interests are in the area of energy-thermal-fluid sciences, bio/alternative spray fuel combustion, surrogate fuel chemistry, advanced laser diagnostics, combustion dynamics of instabilities and stabilization, and non-equilibrium plasma-assisted combustion as alternative power conversion. Dr. Lee’s research emphasizes combustion experiment based on applications in energy, environment, and aerospace.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Spray Combustion
- Fuel Chemistry
- Soot Emissions
- Laser-Based Combustion Diagnostics
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Gas Turbine Engine
- Laminar and Turbulent Combustionmbustion engines
- Soot Formation and Spray Combustion
- Bio/Alternative Renewable Energy and Clean Fuels in Low Temperature Combustion
- New Emerging Laser-Based Technique Development
- Nonequilibrium Plasma-Assisted Combustion
- Surrogate Fuel Chemical Reaction Models and CFD Modeling of Reacting Flow Systems
- Combustion Dynamics of Instability, Stabilization, and Propagation in Gas Turbine Engine
- Hai-Wen Ge, Michael Norconk, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Steve Wooldridge, James Yi, “PIV measurement and numerical simulation of fan-driven flow in a constant volume combustion vessel,” Applied Thermal Engineering 64:19-31, 2014.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Johnson, Jaclyn, Ge, Hai-Wen, Kurtz, Eric, Nan, R., 2013, "Investigation of Key Mechanism for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays using Experimental Results and CFD Modeling," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212.
- Anqi Zhang, Khanh Cung, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Garlan Huberts, Michael Czekala, and Qiuping Qu, “The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1627.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Meijer, Maarten, Somers, L.M.T., Johnson, Jaclyn, Malbec, L.M., Bruneaux, Gilles, Pickett, Lyle, Bardi, M., Payri, Raul, Bazyn, Tim, 2012, "Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 777-806.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., and Lee, Seong-Young, 2012, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages.
- Lee, Seong-Young, Litzinger, T., Colket, M., Kahandawala, M., Liscinsky, D., McNesby, K., Pawlik, R., Roquemore, M., Santoro, R., Sidhu, S., and Stouffer, S., 2011, "Fuel Additive Effects on Soot across a Suite of Laboratory Devices, Part 2: Nitroalkanes," Combustion Science and Technology Vol. 183, No. 8, pp. 739-754.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Nesbitt, Jaclyn E., Johnson, Samuel E., Pickett, Lyle M., Siebers, Dennis L., 2011, "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, Vol. 25, No.3, pp. 926-936.
- Lee, Seong-Young, Ding, Nan, Arora, Rajat, Norconk, Michael, 2011, "Numerical Investigation of Diluent Influence on Flame Extinction Limits and Emission Characteristic of Lean-Premixed H2-CO (syngas) Flames," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 3222-3231.