- MEEM 917
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Energy Thermo-Fluids (ETF) Area Director
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Lee is an experimentalist interested in studying turbulent and spray combustion, including high-pressure diesel and gasoline spray and fundamental turbulent flames. Dr. Lee’s research interests are in the area of energy-thermal-fluid sciences, bio/alternative spray fuel combustion, surrogate fuel chemistry, advanced laser diagnostics, combustion dynamics of instabilities and stabilization, and non-equilibrium plasma-assisted combustion as alternative power conversion. Dr. Lee’s research emphasizes combustion experiment based on applications in energy, environment, and aerospace.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Spray Combustion
- Fuel Chemistry
- Soot Emissions
- Laser-Based Combustion Diagnostics
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Gas Turbine Engine
- Laminar and Turbulent Combustionmbustion engines
- Soot Formation and Spray Combustion
- Bio/Alternative Renewable Energy and Clean Fuels in Low Temperature Combustion
- New Emerging Laser-Based Technique Development
- Nonequilibrium Plasma-Assisted Combustion
- Surrogate Fuel Chemical Reaction Models and CFD Modeling of Reacting Flow Systems
- Combustion Dynamics of Instability, Stabilization, and Propagation in Gas Turbine Engine
- Hai-Wen Ge, Michael Norconk, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Steve Wooldridge, James Yi, “PIV measurement and numerical simulation of fan-driven flow in a constant volume combustion vessel,” Applied Thermal Engineering 64:19-31, 2014.
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn Johnson, Hai-Wen Ge, Eric Kurtz, R. Nan, "Investigation of Key Mechanism for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays using Experimental Results and CFD Modeling," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212, 2013-04-08
- Anqi Zhang, Khanh Cung, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Garlan Huberts, Michael Czekala, and Qiuping Qu, “The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1627.
- Jaclyn E. Johnson, Jeffrey D. Naber, Seong-Young Lee, E. Kurtz, H-W Ge, and N. Robarge, “Investigation of Key Mechanisms for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1594
- M. Meijer, B. Somers, J. Johnson, J. Naber, S.-Y. Lee, L-M. Malbec, G. Bruneaux, L.M. Pickett, M. Bardi, R.Payri, and T. Bazyn, “Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels,” Atomization and Spray 22(9):777-806, 2012.
- Seong-Young Lee, T. Litzinger, M. Colket, M. Kahandawala, D. Liscinsky, K. McNesby, R. Pawlik, M. Roquemore, R. Santoro, S. Sidhu, and S. Stouffer, "Fuel Additive Effects on Soot across a Suite of Laboratory Devices, Part 2: Nitroalkanes," Combustion Science and Technology Volume 183, Issue 8, pages pages 739-754, 2011-04-12
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn E. Nesbitt, Samuel E. Johnson, Lyle M. Pickett, Dennis L. Siebers, , "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, 2011, 25 (3), pp 926-936, 2011-02-25
- Seong-Young Lee, N. Bouvet, C. Chauveau, I. Gokalp, R.J. Santoro, "Characterization of Syngas Laminar Flames Using the Bunsen Burner Configuration ," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 36, Issue 1, Pages 992-1005, 2011-01-00