- MEEM 917
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Energy Thermo-Fluids (ETF) Area Director
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Lee is an experimentalist interested in studying turbulent and spray combustion, including high-pressure diesel and gasoline spray and fundamental turbulent flames. Dr. Lee’s research interests are in the area of energy-thermal-fluid sciences, bio/alternative spray fuel combustion, surrogate fuel chemistry, advanced laser diagnostics, combustion dynamics of instabilities and stabilization, and non-equilibrium plasma-assisted combustion as alternative power conversion. Dr. Lee’s research emphasizes combustion experiment based on applications in energy, environment, and aerospace.
Links of Interest
- Laminar and Turbulent Combustionmbustion engines
- Soot Formation and Spray Combustion
- Bio/Alternative Renewable Energy and Clean Fuels in Low Temperature Combustion
- New Emerging Laser-Based Technique Development
- Nonequilibrium Plasma-Assisted Combustion
- Surrogate Fuel Chemical Reaction Models and CFD Modeling of Reacting Flow Systems
- Combustion Dynamics of Instability, Stabilization, and Propagation in Gas Turbine Engine
Areas of Expertise
- Spray Combustion
- Fuel Chemistry
- Soot Emissions
- Laser-Based Combustion Diagnostics
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Gas Turbine Engine
- Hai-Wen Ge, Michael Norconk, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Steve Wooldridge, James Yi, “PIV measurement and numerical simulation of fan-driven flow in a constant volume combustion vessel,” Applied Thermal Engineering 64:19-31, 2014.
- Anqi Zhang, Khanh Cung, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Garlan Huberts, Michael Czekala, and Qiuping Qu, “The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1627.
- Jaclyn E. Johnson, Jeffrey D. Naber, Seong-Young Lee, E. Kurtz, H-W Ge, and N. Robarge, “Investigation of Key Mechanisms for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1594
- M. Meijer, B. Somers, J. Johnson, J. Naber, S.-Y. Lee, L-M. Malbec, G. Bruneaux, L.M. Pickett, M. Bardi, R.Payri, and T. Bazyn, “Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels,” Atomization and Spray 22(9):777-806, 2012.
- N. Ding, R. Arora, M. Norconk, and S.-Y. Lee, “Numerical Investigation of Diluent Influence on Flame Extinction Limits of Lean-Premixed H2-CO (Syngas),” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36(4): 3222-3231, 2011
- S. Seo and S.-Y. Lee, “Effects of Unmixedness on Combustion Instabilities in a Lean-Premixed Gas Turbine Combustor,” Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 85: 95-112, 2010.
- A. Mensch, R. Santoro, T. Litzinger, and S.-Y. Lee, “Sooting Characteristics of Surrogates for Jet Fuels,” Combustion and Flame 157:1097-1105, 2010
- S.-Y. Lee, S.R. Turns, and R.J. Santoro, “Measurement of Soot, OH Radical and PAH Concentrations in Turbulent Ethylene/Air Jet Flames,” Combustion and Flame 156: 2264-2275, 2009.
- V. Katta, W. Roquemore, A. Menon, S.-Y. Lee, R. Santoro, and T. Litzinger, “Impact of Soot on Flame Flicker,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32: 1343-1350, 2009.