- EERC 612. MEEM 911
- Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Richard and Elizabeth Henes Assistant Professor of Energy Storage Systems
- PhD, Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University of Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- M.Sc., Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- B.Eng., Industrial Engineering specializing in Electric Power Systems, University Carlos III, Spain
Dr. Lucia Gauchia received her General Engineering degree and her Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain in 2005 and 2009, respectively.
Dr. Gauchia was appointed in 2013, the Richard and Elizabeth Henes Assistant Professor of Energy Storage Systems at the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Department at Michigan Technological University (USA). She was a Postdoctoral Research Associate with McMaster University (Canada), working for the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Hybrid Powertrain and the Green Auto Powertrain Program. From 2008 to 2012 she worked at the Power Electric Engineering Department at the University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain).
Her research interests include the testing, modeling and energy management of energy storage systems for microgrid and electrical vehicle applications. She is particularly interested in the integration of energy storage for microgids, its selection and control depending on the energy storage technology and microgrid needs.
Areas of Expertise
- Energy Storage Systems
- State estimation for batteries and supercapacitors
- Energy storage selection for sustainable communities
- Energy storage testing and modeling
- Battery ageing for transportation electrification
- Castano, Sandra, Gauchia Babe, Lucia, Voncila, Elena, Sanz, Javier Fdez, “Dynamical Modeling Procedure of a Li-ion Battery Pack Suitable for Real-time Applications,” Energy Conversion and Management, Mar 2015, Vol. 92, No. 1, pp. 396-405, DOI: 10.1016/j.enconman.2014.12.076. Read More
- Malysz, Pawel, Gauchia Babe, Lucia, Yang, Hong "Fundamentals of Electric Energy Storage Systems," Advanced Electric Drive Vehicles, Ed. A. Emadi, Taylor & Francis Group, October 2014, pp. 237-282, ISBN 9781466597693 Read More
- Raga, Carmen, Barrado, Andres, Lazaro, Antonio, Fernandez, Celia, Valdivia, Virgilio, Quesada, Isabel, Gauchia Babe, Lucia, "Black-box Model, Identification Technique and Frequency Analysis for PEM Fuel Cell with Overshoot Transient Response," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Oct 2014, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 5334-5346, DOI: 10.1109/TPEL.2013.2292599 Read More
- Castano, S., Gauchia, L., Sanz-Feito, J., 2013, "Effect of Packaging on Supercapacitors Strings Modeling: Proposal of Functional Unit Defined around Balancing Circuit," Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp. 1390-1398, doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2013.2252956
- Gauchia, L., Bouscayrol, A., Lhomme, W., 2012, "Different Control Schemes of a Fuel-Cell Vehicle using Supercapacitors," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), IEEE, pp. 474-479, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2012.6422764
- Gauchia, L., Bouscayrol, A., Sanz, J., Trigui, R., Barrade, P., 2011, "Fuel Cell, Battery and Supercapacitor Hybrid System for Electric Vehicle: Modeling and Control via Energetic Macroscopic Representation," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2011 IEEE, pp.1-6, doi: 10.1109/VPPC.2011.6043246
- Gauchia, L., Sanz, J., 2010, "A Per-Unit Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation of a Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Energy System," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 1186-1194, doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2036641
- Gauchia, L., Castaño, S., Sanz, J., 2010, "New approach to Supercapacitor Testing and Dynamic Modelling," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), IEEE, pp. 1-5, 1-3, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2010.5729143