- EERC 612. MEEM 911
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
Richard and Elizabeth Henes Assistant Professor of Energy Storage Systems
- PhD, Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University of Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- M.Sc., Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- B.Eng., Industrial Engineering specializing in Electric Power Systems, University Carlos III, Spain
Dr. Lucia Gauchia received her General Engineering degree and her Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain in 2005 and 2009, respectively.
Dr. Gauchia was appointed in 2013, the Richard and Elizabeth Henes Assistant Professor of Energy Storage Systems at the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics Department at Michigan Technological University (USA). She was a Postdoctoral Research Associate with McMaster University (Canada), working for the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Hybrid Powertrain and the Green Auto Powertrain Program. From 2008 to 2012 she worked at the Power Electric Engineering Department at the University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain).
Her research interests include the testing, modeling and energy management of energy storage systems for microgrid and electrical vehicle applications. She is particularly interested in the integration of energy storage for microgids, its selection and control depending on the energy storage technology and microgrid needs.
Areas of Expertise
- Energy Storage Systems
- State estimation for batteries and supercapacitors
- Energy storage selection for sustainable communities
- Energy storage testing and modeling
- Battery ageing for transportation electrification
- Castano, S., Gauchia, L., Sanz-Feito, J., 2013, "Effect of Packaging on Supercapacitors Strings Modeling: Proposal of Functional Unit Defined around Balancing Circuit," Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp. 1390-1398, doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2013.2252956
- Gauchia, L., Bouscayrol, A., Lhomme, W., 2012, "Different Control Schemes of a Fuel-Cell Vehicle using Supercapacitors," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), IEEE, pp. 474-479, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2012.6422764
- Gauchia, L., Bouscayrol, A., Sanz, J., Trigui, R., Barrade, P., 2011, "Fuel Cell, Battery and Supercapacitor Hybrid System for Electric Vehicle: Modeling and Control via Energetic Macroscopic Representation," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2011 IEEE, pp.1-6, doi: 10.1109/VPPC.2011.6043246
- Gauchia, L., Sanz, J., 2010, "A Per-Unit Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation of a Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Energy System," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 1186-1194, doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2036641
- Gauchia, L., Castaño, S., Sanz, J., 2010, "New approach to Supercapacitor Testing and Dynamic Modelling," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), IEEE, pp. 1-5, 1-3, doi:10.1109/VPPC.2010.5729143
- Gauchia, L., Sanz, J., 2009, “Per Unit Representation of Electrical Magnitudes in Batteries: A Tool for Comparison and Design,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 554-560, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2008.10.019
- Gauchia, L., Sanz, J., 2008, "Hardware-in-loop Simulation Platform for Energy Systems in Hybrid Electric Vehicles," Industrial Electronics, ISIE 2008, IEEE International Symposium, pp. 2159-2164, doi:10.1109/ISIE.2008.4677082
- Fontelaa, P., Soriab, A., Mielgoc, J., Sierrac, J., de Blasc, J., Gauchia, L., Martíneze, J., 2007, “Airport Electric Vehicle Powered by Fuel Cell,“ Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 169, No. 1, pp. 184–193, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.01.056