From visitor passes to employee permits and student commuters, Transportation Services handles parking and vehicle registration for the Michigan Tech community. Find us in Administration Building Room 100. We're open 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday through Friday during the academic year, and from 8 a.m.–4 p.m. in summer.
What We Do, and Why
We create consistent and clear vehicle regulations to make parking simple and convenient for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff. Some of our guiding principles:
- Anyone associated with Michigan Tech must have a permit to park on university-owned or leased property. Permits are also required for vendors, service providers, and visitors.
- We enforce parking regulations fairly and consistently, because we want everyone who has a parking permit to be able to park in their designated spaces.
- We maintain a fair and impartial appeals process to mitigate citation fees for exceptional or extraordinary circumstances.
- We charge everyone who uses university parking facilities. The proceeds of fees are used as directed by university management to offset the cost of maintaining parking and public safety services on campus.
- General permits, reserved lot permits (lot 11) and faculty/staff permits cannot be purchased with a Michigan Technological University departmental index.
Services We Offer
People who need assistance dealing with vehicle problems can contact Transportation Services at 906-487-1441 during normal office hours. We provide help with flat tires, running out of gas, and dead car batteries at no charge. We can also help you contact appropriate services for other vehicle problems.
Transportation Services provides a Campus Parking Shuttle, a City-Campus Shuttle through the City of Houghton, and a Saturday Shopping Shuttle through Lamers Bus Lines. The spring shuttle schedule provides shuttle stop times by location. During University breaks, alternate schedules will be posted as the City-Campus Shuttle is not in service. The Saturday Shopping Shuttle is in service every Saturday regardless of whether or not school is in session.
The Spring Break Shuttle will run Monday - Friday, from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM.
Please Note: Shuttles may need to be cancelled due to inclement weather. A notice will be sent out to all students in the case of cancelled or altered shuttle schedules. For timely updates on schedule changes please joing the "Campus Shuttle Updates" Google Group.
Ride City of Houghton Transit
The city-operated Houghton Public Transit bus system offers several services to residents and visitors. See their schedule to view times for their Downtowner route and on-demand service they offer in addition to the Campus-City Shuttle Routes they run throughout the day.
Michigan Tech partners with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to campus. Register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to a reserved Zipcar parking space: in front of the MUB; in Lot 15W at the front of Wadsworth Hall; or in the visitor section of lower Daniell Heights.
Zipcar members get:
- 24-hour access to Zipcars.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff, and students age 18 and older: rates start at $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance, and maintenance are included at no charge.
Join for $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.