- MEEM 1020A
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering–Engineering Mechanics
Director, Design Dynamic Systems Area
Clean Snowmobile Team Faculty Advisor, SAE Faculty Advisor
- PhD, University of Cincinnati
Dr. Blough’s research includes dynamic measurement problems, developing new digital signal processing algorithms to understand NVH type problems and ways to improve the NVH characteristics of virtually any machine. He has made measurements on items as small as individual turbine blades to items as large as 45m diameter radio telescopes and many machines in between including automobiles, snowmobiles, M1 tanks, locomotives, and appliances. He has worked on automotive and snowmobile powertrains and other vehicle components to make them quieter. Currently, he is researching the implementation of active noise control systems in passenger vehicles.
Dr. Blough developed order tracking algorithms for processing data on rotating machinery that are commercially licensed. Additional digital signal processing projects have included Kalman Filter development for a specific automotive application
and Sound and Vibration Quality Jury and metric studies.
Dr. Blough is well versed in nearly all experimental NVH techniques including Modal Analysis, Transfer Path Analysis, Time-Frequency analysis, etc. He routinely teaches many of these techniques in the classroom and industry short courses. He also has experience in FEA and multi-body dynamics modeling.
Links of Interest
- Dynamic Measurement Problems
- Developing new digital signal processing algorithms to understand NVH type problems
- Ways to improve the NVH characteristics of virtually any machine
Areas of Expertise
- Unique Instrumentation/Data Acquisition
- Digital Signal Processing
- Noise Control
- Blough, J.R., Gwaltney, G. and Vizanko, J., “Quantifying How the Environment Effects SAE-J192 Pass-by Noise Testing of Snowmobiles,” Proceedings of the 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, May 2005, Traverse City, MI. SAE Paper number: 05NVC-236.
- Kowalski, D., Blough, J.R., and Anderson, C., “Cavitation Detection in Automotive Torque Converters using Nearfield Acoustical Measurements,” SAE Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition, May 2005, Traverse City, MI, SAE paper number 2005-01-2516.
- Dhaliwal, A.S., Parker, G.G., and Blough, J.R., “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Special Issue on Intelligent Vehicle Systems, Volume 2, Numbers 3 & 4, pp. 168-188, 2004.
- Blough J.R. “A Survey of DSP Methods for Rotating Machinery Analysis, What is Needed, What is Available,” Special Edition of Journal of Sound and Vibration from India-USA Symposium 2001—Emerging Trends in Vibration and Noise Engineering, Dec. 2001.