Ordinance 3—Control of Pets
Effective Date: 08/07/2014
A REGULATION TO PROHIBIT THE BRINGING OR KEEPING
OF ANIMALS INCLUDING DOGS, CATS, BIRDS, RATS, MICE,
MONKEYS, GERBILS, AND RABBITS ON UNIVERSITY PROPERTY
No person shall bring, keep or possess any animal, including but not limited to, dog, cat, bird, rat, mouse, monkey, gerbil, reptile, or rabbit, on any property owned, possessed, held or controlled by the Michigan Technological University Board of Trustees in Houghton County except:
- Guide, Leader, Hearing or Service Dogs or Service Animals trained to perform the work or task required by the user's disability when used by a qualified individual with a disability, in compliance with State or Federal law;
- Animals owned, or possessed and maintained by Michigan Technological University for educational or research purposes; or
- Specific exceptions authorized by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
This Ordinance shall become effective on its publication in The Daily Mining Gazette, Houghton, Michigan. Copies of the said Ordinance shall be made available at the office of the Public Safety Department and at the office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Michigan Technological University.
- 08/03/2000: Changed Executive Vice President and Provost title to Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
- 05/04/2007: Replaced the reference to Guide Dogs with one including other Service Animals as defined by Michigan and Federal laws, regulations and guidelines, and changed Provost title.
- 08/07/2014: Revised language in item #1.