- Professor, Biological Sciences
- PhD, Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel, 2001
Dr. Tang conducted his graduate research on the catabolic pathway of the essential amino acid lysine in the laboratory of Dr. Gad Galili at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences, Israel. He then moved to the laboratory of Dr. Phillip D. Zamore at the University of Massachusetts Medical School for his post-doctoral research on plant RNA interference (RNAi) and microRNA (miRNA) pathways. He established his independent Gene Suppression Laboratory at the University of Kentucky (UK) and became a tenured Associate Professor there. In October 2011, he moved from UK to Michigan Technological University (MTU) at the Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (U. P.) for a family reunion and enjoyed the first winter time with much outdoor activities with his wife and kids. In May 2016, he became a full Professor at MTU.
Links of Interest
- Gene Silencing
- RNA Interference (RNAi)
- MicroRNA (miRNA)
- RNA Silencing in Plant Germ Extract and Drosophila Embryo Lysate.
- Fungal RNAi and microRNA
- MicroRNA Technologies: Small Tandem Target mimic (STTM) and MicroRNA Array
- Plant Electrophysiology in Plant microRNA STTM lines and Venus flytrap.
- Teotia S, Zhang D, Tang G. (2017) Knockdown of Rice microRNA166 by Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM). Methods Mol Biol. 1654:337-349. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-7231-9_25. Read More
- Tian B, Wang S, Todd TC, Johnson CD, Tang G, Trick HN.(2017) Genome-wide identification of soybean microRNA responsive to soybean cyst nematodes infection by deep sequencing. BMC Genomics. 18(1):572. Read More
- Teotia S, Tang G.(2017) Silencing of Stress-Regulated miRNAs in Plants by Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Approach. Methods Mol Biol.1631:337-348. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-7136-7_22. Read More
- Yang M, Li C, Cai Z, Hu Y, Nolan T, Yu F, Yin Y, Xie Q, Tang G, Wang X. (2017) SINAT E3 Ligases Control the Light-Mediated Stability of the Brassinosteroid-Activated Transcription Factor BES1 in Arabidopsis.Dev Cell . 41(1): 47-58. DOI:10.1016/j.devcel.2017.03.014. Read More
- Zhang Z, Hu F, Sung MW, Shu C, Castillo-González C, Koiwa H, Tang G, Dickman M, Li P, Zhang X (2017) RISC-Interacting Clearing 3'- 5' Exoribonucleases (RICEs) degrade uridylated cleavage fragments to maintain functional RISC in Arabidopsis. Elife DOI:10.7554/eLife.24466. Read More
- Zhang H, Zhang J, Yan J, Gou F, Mao Y, Tang G, Botella JR, Jian-Kang Zhu (2017) Short tandem target mimic rice lines uncover functions of miRNAs in regulating important agronomic traits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. DOI:10.1073/pnas.1703752114. Read More
- Wanzhen LI, Yulong WANG, Jianyu ZHU, Zhangxun WANG, Guiliang TANG, Bo HUANG (2017)Differential DNA methylation may contribute to temporal and spatial regulation of gene expression and the development of mycelia and conidia in entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium robertsii. Fungal Biology (Online) Read More
- Jun Yan, Chunzhao Zhao, Jianping Zhou, Yu Yang, Pengcheng Wang, Xiaohong Zhu, Guiliang Tang, Ray A. Bressan, Jian-Kang Zhu (2016) The miR165/166 Mediated Regulatory Module Plays Critical Roles in ABA Homeostasis and Response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plos Genetics DOI:10.1371/journal.pgen.1006416. Read More
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology. Award Number:1340001; Principal Investigator:Guiliang Tang; Co-Principal Investigator:Xuemei Chen, Wenbo Ma, Harold Trick, Hairong Wei; Organization:Michigan Technological University;NSF Organization:IOS Award Date:06/01/2014; Award Amount:$2,499,979.00.
Training Workshop (Supported by NSF)
- Inactivation of microRNAs in Crop Plants Using Short Tandem Target Mimic (STTM) Technology.
- EAGER: RNAi Gene Discovery Tool to Randomly Generate Dominant Mutant Pools in Plants