- Dow 727
Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
- PhD, Utah State University
- BA, Colgate University
I am an ecosystem ecologist who studies biogeochemical cycles and linkages between physical, chemical and biological structure and function in watersheds. Linking these often requires understanding the underlying structure of microbial, algal, and animal communities. I am also working to place concepts of food webs into a broader ecosystem context by merging measurements of ecosystem production and food web pathways. Therefore, my research occurs at the interface of ecosystem and community ecology. I enjoy research that is both fundamental and applied, and have explored the interface between academia and management in projects examining the effects of salmon marine-derived nutrients on stream-riparian production and the effects of land use and habitat degradation on nutrient cycling and export from rivers.
One benefit of an academic career is the synergy between an active research program and undergraduate and graduate education. I currently teach undergrad and graduate courses in Limnology and Ecosystem Ecology, as well a professional development seminar for graduate students called The Scientific Profession where we cover topics related to grant writing, publishing, jobs, work-life balance, ethics, and gender issues, among many others.
Links of Interest
- Ecosystem Ecology of Streams and Rivers
- Bechtold HA, Marcarelli AM, Baxter CV & Inouye RS. 2012. Effects of N, P andorganic carbon on stream biofilm nutrient limitation and uptake in a semi-arid watershed. Limnology and Oceanography 57:1544-1554. Read More
- Mineau MM, Baxter CV, Marcarelli AM & Minshall GW. 2012. An invasive riparian tree reduces stream ecosystem efficiency via a recalcitrant organic matter subsidy. Ecology 93:1501-1508 Read More
- Scott JT & Marcarelli AM. 2012. Cyanobacteria in freshwater benthic environments. Pp 271-289 in: Whitton BA (ed) Ecology of Cyanobacteria II: Their Diversity in Time and Space. Springer. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Baxter CV, Mineau MM & Hall RO. 2011. Quantity and quality: unifying food web and ecosystem perspectives on the role of resource subsidies in freshwaters. Ecology 92: 1215-1225. Read More
- Hopkins JM, Marcarelli AM & Bechtold HA. 2011. Ecosystem structure and function are complementary measures of water quality in a polluted, spring-influenced river. Water Air and Soil Pollution 214: 409-421. Read More
- Marcarelli AM, Van Kirk RW & Baxter CV. 2010. Predicting effects of hydrologic alteration and climate change on ecosystem metabolism in a western U.S. river. Ecological Applications 20: 2081-2088. Read More