Hockey split its non-conference series at Michigan State over the weekend. The two teams went to their sixth straight overtime period Friday with the Spartans coming out with a 3-2 win. The Huskies bounced back with a convincing 5-1 victory Saturday. The Huskies are 4-6-2 overall and 3-2-1-1 in the WCHA and return to the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena for a WCHA series against Lake Superior State this weekend. The Huskies and Lakers faceoff at 7:07 p.m. both nights in their only meeting of the season.
Football won its seventh straight Miner's Cup with a 51-45 double overtime win over Northern Michigan at the Superior Dome. John Williams scored on a 9-yard run to seal the win for the Huskies. The Huskies (5-4) host Findlay (5-5) at Sherman Field to wrap up the 2016 season. The 2016 seniors will be recognized before Saturday's 1 p.m. kickoff.
Volleyball went 3-0 last week to improve to 15-13 and 10-5 in the GLIAC. The Huskies are in a four-way tie for third in the conference standings and a tied with Saginaw Valley State for second in the GLIAC North. Tech swept NMU Tuesday and Northwood Friday. The Huskies wrapped up the weekend with a 3-1 win over Hillsdale Saturday. The Huskies host SVSU and Lake Superior State at the SDC Gym to wrap up the regular season this weekend. Seniors Aubrey Ficek and Rachel Pohlod will be recognized Saturday.
Soccer advanced to the GLIAC Championship Game with a pair of wins before falling to Grand Valley State in the title game. The 2016 NCAA Tournament field will be announced Monday evening with the Huskies having an outside shot of earning an at-large bid. Tech is 12-4-3 overall. For NCAA Tournament information visit michigantechhuskies.com.
The men's and women's cross country teams both placed in the top half of the standings at the NCAA Division II Midwest Regionals to wrap up the season. The women turned in a 12th place finish out of 32 teams while the men landed in 13th out of a 31-team field. Emily Byrd led the women in 43rd in the field of 220 runners. Jason Saliga led the men in 54th overall in the field of 219.
The Huskies tipoff the 2016-17 season with a non-conference game at Minnesota Duluth Saturday. Tech was picked third in the North Division in the 2016 GLIAC Basketball Preseason Poll.
The Huskies travel to Lewis University for the GLIAC/GLVC Challenge for a pair of games. They play host Lewis Saturday and UW-Parkside Sunday. Tech was picked fourth in the North Division in the 2016 GLIAC Preseason Poll.
For the full version of these stories visit michigantechhuskies.com.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
• Huskies Drive Time, 7:30-8 a.m. on 93.5 FM
• Volleyball vs. Saginaw Valley State, 5 p.m. at the SDC Gym. Radio broadcast on 93.5 FM
• Hockey vs. Lake Superior State, 7:07 p.m. at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena Radio Broadcast on 93.5 FM
• Football vs. Findlay, 1 p.m. at Sherman Field broadcast on 93.5 FM
• Women's Basketball at Minnesota Duluth, 4 p.m. broadcast on 93.5 FM
• Volleyball vs. Lake Superior State, 4 p.m. at the SDC Gym on 920 AM
• Hockey vs. Lake Superior State, 7:07 p.m. at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena broadcast on 93.5 FM
• Men's Basketball at Lewis, 9 p.m. broadcast on 920 AM
• Men's Basketball vs. UW-Parkside (at Lewis), 2 p.m. broadcast on 93.5 FM