Rent a Vehicle
Welcome to Husky Motors
Michigan Tech manages a fleet of 58 safe, properly maintained vehicles that full- and part-time faculty and staff or student groups can rent for official University business. Husky Motors charges a daily fee. You may choose pay for gas with cards we provide—fuel charges incurred during a rental are added to your final rental bill.
Zipcars are also available for personal use.
|Husky Motors Vehicle Options||Daily Fee**|
|Van (12-15 passenger)†||$45*|
Reserve a Vehicle
Make reservations through Fleet Commander.
- Set up an approved account. Go to Sign Up Now at the bottom of the left navigation bar under Information. Fill out and submit the form. Husky Motors checks eligibility requirements for driving a university vehicle and approves the request.
- Once you have been notified that your account has been approved, review and agree to the Husky Motors Policies and Procedures.
- Reserve a vehicle. Log into FleetCommander. Go to Make Reservation at the top of the left navigation bar under Vehicle Use.
NOTE: Student Organizations that want to rent a vehicle need to have a Student Organization Vehicle Request Form approved by the Student Activities Office—Husky Motors can't rent a vehicle to you without it.
Once your rental is approved:
- Change or update your reservation, including the driver or time period using My Schedule, in the left navigation. It shows all your requested reservations—choose the one you want to update.
- To pick up the vehicle, the primary driver on the reservation may sign out electronically from the Fleetcommaner Kiosk at the Husky Motors Office using their ISO username and password.
- To return the vehicle, the primary driver must check it back in with the ending mileage from your trip and return the keys to the kiosk.
- More questions? Refer to our detailed instructions.
Updating or Adding Drivers:
If someone other than the driver designated on your reservation confirmation is going to pick up or return the vehicle, you must update the reservation. If you don't, you will not be able to sign in or out, or receive or return keys.
All drivers must be registered in Fleetcommander and be included on your rental reservation to be approved to driver during your rental.
Services and Fees
We deliver vehicles to Houghton County Memorial Airport for the convenience of departing and arriving guests and employees. The $15 one-way fee is added to the rental bill.
Fuel Fill Charge
If you return a vehicle to us without a full gas tank, a $4.50 per gallon fee is added to your rental bill.
If you pick up a vehicle from Husky Motors that does not have a full gas tank, fill up at a local gas station right away, and let us know when you return the vehicle. Leave a note under comments on the key kiosk: "Filled tank, was not full when picked up."
Husky Motors charges $60 per hour to clean up vehicles returned to us with excessive grime, food stains, pet hair/dander, and trash.
Other Huskies are waiting. Let us know at least 24 hours before scheduled pickup if you won't need your reservation after all. No-shows are charged $50.
We charge replacement costs, based on dealership estimates, for lost remote-entry transmitters or keys.
Husky Motors does not rent vehicles for personal use. If you need a vehicle for personal use, Michigan Tech partners with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to campus.
Register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to a reserved Zipcar parking space: in front of the MUB; in Lot 15W at the front of Wadsworth Hall; or in the visitor section of lower Daniell Heights.
Zipcar members get:
- 24-hour access to Zipcars.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff, and students age 18 and older: rates start at $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance, and maintenance are included at no charge.
Join for $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.