Frequently Asked Questions



Why should I choose a degree program in the School of Technology?

Academic programs in the School of Technology are designed to prepare you for a career as a technical or management-oriented professional in business, industry, education, and government.

The hallmark of an education in the School of Technology is the practical application of technical knowledge—a hands-on education that prepares you to address and solve the problems of our global society.

Technology program graduates are involved with the design, installation, management, operation, and maintenance of complex technological systems.

As a result of a broad education, skills in working with people, and technical problem solving abilities, technology program graduates are often the go-to person in many organizations. Industries employing technology program graduates are extremely diverse, ranging from construction to health care, from small family-owned business to international corporations.

Graduates of four-year technology programs often get jobs similar to those obtained by graduates with a bachelor’s degree in engineering.


Are the School of Technology programs accredited?

The Electrical Engineering Technology and Mechanical Engineering Technology programs are accredited by the Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.  The Construction Management program is in the process of pursuing accreditation through the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE).  The Computer Network and System Administration and Surveying Engineering programs are pursuing ABET accreditation.


What is the difference between engineering technology and engineering?

Engineering technology requires the application of scientific and engineering knowledge and methods combined with technical skills in support of engineering activities; it lies in the occupational spectrum between the craftsman and the engineer at the end of the spectrum closest to the engineer. The degree is engineering technology; the job is engineering.


What preparation do I need in high school?

As a high school student you should take at least three years of math, science, English and communications. In addition, practical, hands-on courses and at least one year of hands-on computer experience is strongly recommended.


What is the deadline for submitting applications?

Apply by January 15 of the year you plan to enroll for priority consideration for admission, financial aid, and scholarships.


How do I apply for admission?

The information you need to apply can be found here:  It’s free and you can apply online or submit a paper application.


What type of advising is available in the School of Technology?

The School has a dedicated advisor that will guide you through the curriculum in each program. 


What are my career opportunities?

Excellent career opportunities are available in all programs of study in the School of Technology.  The placement rate is nearly 100%.  Please see specific programs for additional information.


Do the School of Technology faculty members have industrial experience?

The majority of the School’s faculty members have extensive industrial experience.


Will my classes be taught by full-time faculty?

All School of Technology classes are taught by full-time faculty or qualified instructors.  Graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) may be employed to assist with labs.


Will all my professors be involved in research?

The faculty members in the School of Technology maintain a balance between teaching and scholarship.  A number of our faculty have been nominated and/or received the Distinguished Teaching Award.  Several faculty members are involved in applied research and they typically include undergraduate students in their projects.


What is the average class size for School of Technology courses?

The average class size for School of Technology courses is approximately 20.


Are there any graduate programs in the School of Technology?

Yes, a new Master’s Program in Integrated Geospatial Technology was recently approved and applications are currently being accepted for the Fall 2011 semester.  The Master's Degree in Integrated Geospatial Technology is designed for students from a variety of backgrounds for careers in surveying, photogrammetry, remote sensing, Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR), terrestrial laser scanning industries, and for allied areas that require knowledge and understanding of the acquisition, processing, and analysis of spatially referenced data.