- EERC 312
Assistant Professor, School of Technology
- PhD, Computer Science, Michigan Technological University, 2011
- MS, Computer Science, Michigan Technological University, 2003
- BS, Astrophysics, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, 1989
Chunming Gao is an Assistant Professor in the School of Technology's Medical Informatics Graduate Program at Michigan Tech. He got his PhD degree in 2011 and Master's degree in 2004 both in Computer Science at Michigan Tech. Dr. Gao's research interests are in the areas of healthcare big data analysis, security, and privacy; Innovative designs in Human-Computer Interaction; Undergraduate and graduate education. Dr. Gao is active in the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society and serves as a reviewer for a variety of IEEE and ACM conferences, such as SIGCHI, SIGCSE, INFOCOM, GLOBECOM. He also serves as the editorial board member of International Journal of Information Science, and the editorial member of Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Technology.
- Big data security and privacy
- Human-computer interaction in healthcare
- Distributed computing
- Undergraduate and graduate education
- Database management and administration
- HCI (human-computer interaction) research methods
- Healthcare statistics, security and privacy
- Advanced Unix and Linux administration
- Programming languages
- Data structures and algorithms
- Gao, C., Iwane, N. (2015). A Social Network Model with Privacy Preserving and Reliability Assurance and its Applications in Health Care. International Journal of Energy, Information and Communications Vol. 6, Issue 1 (2015), pp45-58.
- Gao, C., Iwane, N. (2015). A Social Network Model for Big Data Privacy Preserving and Accountability Assurance. 12th Annual IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference.
- Iwane, N., Gao, C. (2014). A Study of Using Handwritten Annotations on Digital Textbooks. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Advanced Applied Informatics.
- Gao, C., Iwane, N. (2014). Application of A Blended Active Learning Model in Teaching Computer Programming to Non-majors. The 45th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education.
- Gao, C., Iwane, N. (2014). Developing a Multi-trust Model for Multi-purpose Healthcare Social Networks. 11th Annual IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference.
- Gao, C., Pastel, R. L., Tan, J. (2013). An Experimental Study of a New Channel for Data Input On Small Mobile Devices. Journal on Knowledge and Data Engineering (JKDE).
- Iwane, N., Gao, C., Yoshida, M. (2013). A Method for knowledge Acquisition from Handwritten Mark on Digital Text. The 2nd International Workshop on Smart Technologies for Energy, Information and Communication.
- Iwane, N., Gao, C. (2013). Question Generation for Learner Centered Learning. 2013 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies.
- PI, MTU Blended Learning Project Fund (2015)
- PI, MTU Research Excellence Fund Seed Grant (2013)
- PI, MTU Instructional Improvement and Innovation Grant (2008, 2010, 2011)