Student Affairs plays a significant role in preparing Michigan Tech graduates to make a difference in our world. We seek direction from our mission, vision, and values to provide innovative student-centered activities, programs and services; promote civic engagement and responsibility; and develop strong leadership and team-building capabilities, critical thinking, and ethical awareness.
We prepare students to create the future and we make their success our highest priority.
Create Possibilities. Inspire Learning. Exceed Expectations.
The success of Michigan Tech students is the most important measure of our progress. Given this, we are committed to inspiring:
- An engaged community that actively seeks improvement through acceptance and understanding.
- Students to achieve world-class scholarship through academics, research, and continued learning.
- The exploration and creation of all possibilities through innovative use of their skills and knowledge.
- Individuals to hold themselves accountable, and to act with integrity, honesty, and diligence.
- The tenacity required to make ethical choices and to persevere through all obstacles.
Our learning outcomes
Students engaged in programs, initiatives, and experiences offered by Student Affairs will:
- Understand and act as ethically and civically engaged leaders.
- Develop communication skills necessary to adapt and engage effectively in groups.
- Acquire and demonstrate personal responsibility and accountability.
- Obtain and apply intercultural knowledge to thrive in our global society.
- Exhibit a sense of pride and affinity for Michigan Tech.
Our goals for 2012-2013
Given the University’s Strategic Plan and our mission, vision, and values, we will focus our efforts over the course of the next year on the following goals:
- Create opportunities and incentives to recognize, embrace and celebrate our vision
- Strengthen opportunities for collaboration between academic and student affairs
- Launch new and refine existing initiatives that support student success
- Create a defined plan for strategic allocation of resources
- Complete renovations and upgrades of facilities that support student success
- Develop a robust marketing/communication plan for the University
- Redefine enrollment and financial aid goals
Some of our strategies to help us reach these goals include the following
- Continue exploration and development of student success center
- Begin implementation of Student Affairs diversity initiatives
- Successfully implement new female recruitment initiatives
- Increase and embrace the use of technology to better serve students
- Establish a campus-wide orientation advisory team
- Expand education and service components geared towards international students
- Review/evaluate current athletic conference affiliation
- Continue to reevaluate and strengthen health services for students
- Review and modify policies and procedures to ensure compliance and reflect most current/ progressive practices
- Identify and renovate new space for the Center for Pre-College Outreach
- Commit to build and/or renovate space for campus welcome center
- Complete renovations to MacInnes Ice Arena (ice plant/sheet)
- Define a 1-5 year renovation and maintenance plan for on-campus housing
- Complete web migration of all academic units into CMS
- Expand communication channels and create an internal communication/messaging plan
- Continue to attract and hire world class staff for open positions