This program is offered through International Studies Abroad (ISA) at the University of Salamanca.
Salamanca was the first program site where the initial group of ISA students studied abroad in 1987. Salamanca (pop. 156,000) is described by many as the ideal study abroad location because of the outstanding academic possibilities, assorted cultural opportunities, and proximity to the capital city of Madrid. It is one of the most magnificent renaissance cities in all of Europe. Salamanca was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988 and a European City of Culture in 2002. The city is small enough to navigate by foot, allowing you to gain an intimate understanding of the local landscape and culture. Sandstone colored buildings fill the city, earning Salamanca the nickname of La Ciudad Dorada (The Golden City).
TOP 10 REASONS TO STUDY ABROAD IN SALAMANCA
1. Experience university life at the oldest university in Spain and the 3rd oldest in Western Europe
2. Enjoy people watching and socializing in the Plaza Mayor, one of Europe's most beautiful plazas
3. Intern or volunteer with Experiential Learning Abroad Programs (ELAP) at one of dozens of organizations within the Salamanca community.
4. Take a train just a short distance to Portugal for the weekend and go to the beach, ski or snowboard, visit some of the country's national parks, or try some of the local eateries
5. Listen to great music in the streets and experience the culture during the various jazz festivals that occur throughout the year
6. Explore the entire the city without ever having to take, or pay for, any public transportation
7. Learn the purest form of Spanish by studying in this beautiful city
8. Hop on a plane and head to Barcelona, Málaga, or island hop in Mallorca or Ibiza without hassle
9. Try traditional Spanish cuisine that has been perfected over thousands of years in the heart of Old Castilla
10. Stroll along the Tormes River, wonder through the parks, and walk around the local sandstone buildings that give this city its nickname as La Ciudad Dorada (The Golden City)