F-2 Dependents FAQs

F-2 Dependents


I want my spouse and children to join me in the U.S. What do I need to do?

Spouses and children of F-1 visa students can join them on F-2 visa status. The F-1 student needs to request F-2 dependent I-20s from the IPS Office. You must also provide evidence of $4,000 for spouse and $2,000 for each child’s expenses, passport names and addresses to the IPS Office so an I-20 can be issued for each dependent. Please contact the IPS Office.


My F-2 spouse wants to take classes. Is it allowed?

F-2 spouses are able to enroll for classes as F-2 visa holders.


I am an F-1 student and I heard that my spouse can study and work in the United States. Is it true?

Individuals in F-2 status may not accept employment or engage in business, but can enroll in classes.


I heard that it is easy for an F-2 spouse to get a social security card. Is it true?

NO. F-2 visa holders are not eligible to work in the United States. Social Security cards are only issued to individuals who can provide evidence that they have an employment offer and that they are eligible to work in the U. S.