Intensive English as a Second Language
Welcome to the Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) Program at Michigan Tech.
The Intensive English as a Second Language (IESL) offers courses in intensive English for academic purposes. Applicants must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to be considered. IESL does not serve Beginners.
The intensive English for academic purposes curriculum focuses on general academic English and is designed for students who meet every Michigan Technological University admission requirement except for language. The rigorous curriculum is designed to help students improve their English language proficiency for academic and personal purposes. The IESL program offers a full-time curriculum of 18-24 hours per week. See the Courses page for more information.
Why Enroll in Michigan Technological University’s IESL program?
As an IESL student you will
- develop strong English and intercultural skills for academic study at Michigan Tech
- have well-designed English courses and careful attention from teachers
- have excellent teachers with strong professional training and experience
- have small classes
- have access to Michigan Tech facilities
- have access to social events both within the IESL program and across the university, and you will
- live and learn in a friendly small college town community.
Mission and Goals
To provide rigorous English language instruction that prepares conditionally and provisionally admitted international students for successful undergraduate and graduate study; to model exemplary language teaching practices for TESOL certificate candidates; and to enable Michigan Technological University to attract highly qualified international students.
To provide evidence-based instruction in English for Academic Purposes that prepares international students for study at the undergraduate and graduate levels; to provide academic support in ESL for undergraduate and graduate students; to provide orientation, advising, and other assistance that prepares international students for academic study; to provide model practices and experiences for candidates in the TESOL certificate program; and to prepare students to “create the future” they desire.
The IESL Program offers intensive English instruction for academic purposes to prepare students for academic study. Applicants must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to be considered. Conditional admission is offered to students interested in undergraduate study at the university but do not have the required English language test score.
- IESL courses are offered during Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. The Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters are 14 weeks long. IESL courses follow the university calendar.
- IESL classes meet 18-24 hours per week and meet in university classrooms on campus. Instruction includes reading, vocabulary, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and pronunciation.
- Placement tests include listening, vocabulary, grammar, and reading comprehension. Interviews are conducted to judge speaking fluency.
- Course levels are Intermediate I & II, Advanced I & II, Transitional, and Academic Support. At the Advanced level, students may enroll in English for math, science, engineering, or business. Advising for students is provided by both the IESL program and the academic departments.
- Attendance is mandatory as required by Michigan Tech and the Department of Homeland Security.
- Students register for courses as Michigan Tech students.
- Students receive evaluations of their progress at mid-term and at the end of the semester. Evaluation is based on quizzes, tests, reports, projects, and presentations.
- Students participate in a Conversation Partner program.
- Orientation and advising are provided.
- Student housing is available on campus.
- Michigan Tech provides transportation for students from the Hancock, CMX airport to student housing on campus at designated times before the beginning of each semester.