Parking Violation Information
Parking Violation Rates
Parking Meter Violations
- 1–4 violations ($10)
- 5–9 violations ($15)
- 10+ violations ($20)
- 1–4 occurrences ($25)
- 5+ occurrences ($50)
Service Vehicle Spaces
- 1–3 occurrences ($25)
- 4+ occurrences ($50)
- 1–3 occurrences ($100)
- 4+ occurrences ($150)
Payment of Fines
Parking violations must be paid online or at the Student Services Center within 10 business days of issuance (not including holidays or weekends). Parking privileges are suspended when the violation is 45 days past due. After 60 days, unpaid fines may be sent to a collection agency.
The University reserves the right to restrict registration and withhold diplomas or transcripts if fines are not paid.
Violation Appeals Process
- Submit the appeal online within 10 days of violation date.
- If the appeal is denied, it can be submitted to the Appeals Committee, level 2 appeal; please submit an online appeal a second time. If the Appeals Committee denies the appeal, it can be sent to the 97th District Court in Houghton. There is a $20 administrative fee for all violations upheld by the Appeals Committee. General questions regarding specific parking violations should be directed to Transportation Services.
These ARE NOT valid reasons to appeal a violation:
- Lack of legal parking
- Lack of convenient parking
- Time constraints, running late
- Lack of knowledge of the regulation(s)
- Never received the ticket(s) on vehicle
- Parking for “just a couple minutes”
- Failure to obtain a temporary permit
- Did not see the parking sign
- Someone else parked the car
- Affiliated with Michigan Technological University (student, faculty, staff), but on campus as a visitor
- Parked at the meter to avoid buying a permit
The University reserves the right to tow any vehicle that conducts multiple parking violations. Vehicles may also be towed if they interfere with snow removal during winter months.