Student Health Services


Michigan Tech highly recommends that students have the following shots before coming to school:

  • Meningococcus vaccination
  • Tetanus/Diphtheria (a primary series and a booster within the last ten years)
  • Two doses of measles vaccine or Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
  • Varicella vaccine (if you have not had chicken pox)
  • Hepatitis B series (three doses)

In addition, it is recommended that students get flu shots in October or November. Flu shot clinics will be available on campus. For more information on immunizations, see the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Portage Health University Center

Conveniently located on Michigan Tech's campus, the University Center, including the Portage Health Medical Group, Apothecary Pharmacy and Portage Health Rehab and Sports Medicine, provides services for students and the local community. The Center is owned and operated by Portage Health and is located at the Student Development Complex (SDC). It has a full-service clinic staffed with four family medicine providers and offers lab and x-ray services on-site.

Walk-in hours for students are Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM. Students are encouraged to make an appointment, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:30 PM. Offices can be reached by calling 906-483-1860. The Medical Group staff will make every effort to schedule students in need of medical care on short notice if they call in advance for an appointment.

Another option for care is the Portage Health Express Care on Sharon Avenue near Arby's and Taco Bell. For $45, many common ailments can be treated Sunday through Saturday, 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM, 365 days a year.

The Emergency Room at the Portage Health hospital in Hancock provides emergency care. Their offices can be reached at 906-483-1000. No appointments are needed for emergency services. An online directory of regional physicians and hospitals may be found at the Upper Peninsula Health Care Network or at Portage Health.

Disability Services

The University is committed to assisting students with documented physical and learning disabilities. Services and accommodations may include extended time for exams, select adaptive technology, priority scheduling, special housing and parking arrangements, or other reasonable assistance. For disability and accommodation concerns, please email Student Affairs or call 906-487-2212.

Counseling and Wellness Services

The staff in the Counseling and Wellness Services Office can assist students with personal issues that may interfere with school and life in general. Counselors can give advice for tough decisions, help manage stress, assist to improve communication skills, and foster self-awareness. Any concerns, including depression, pregnancy, anxiety, loneliness, substance abuse, or problems with a relationship, can be discussed with a counselor in a confidential setting.